Career Opportunities

YR Media (formerly Youth Radio) is a national network of young journalists and artists who create multimedia content for this generation. Based in Oakland, we link up with our peers around the country to amplify award-winning stories that matter. For more than 25 years, our non-profit production company has invested in future generations to build critical skills in journalism, arts and media.

We are at a pivotal point in the organization’s life as we enter into an exciting phase of growth and expansion as a national network. As we grow, we seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can lead us to the future of YR Media.

We welcome smart, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can do their best work. We seek people who are hard-working, creative, fun, and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level. We hire people who believe in the talent and potential of every young person.

We are committed to the principles of equal opportunity and diversity and to attracting and supporting a staff that represents the rich diversity of the communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.

YR Media is seeking the following team members:

CHIEF DEVELOPMENT OFFICER

The Chief Development Officer is a strategist and tactician helping to establish sustainable growth for our expanding non-profit organization. A track record of success with in-person and written asks and relationship building with high net worth individuals, foundations, and for-profit organizations is required, as this role is responsible for raising significant gifts to meet specific individual revenue goals as well as contributing to the achievement of team outcomes. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record in annual fund development with year-over-year increases in income levels and participation rates.

Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical. Familiarity with media/journalism, youth development, arts, and STEAM education fundraising would be a huge asset for successful performance in this role.

DEVELOPMENT WRITER

The Development Writer is responsible for developing and writing proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations and will persuasively communicate YR Media’s mission and programs to potential funders. The Development Writer will assemble and submit grant requests and conduct prospect research.

The Development Writer is a skilled and persuasive written communicator with experience writing proposals for fundraising organizations. Familiarity with and a passion for media/journalism, youth development, arts, and STEAM education fundraising would be a preferred asset for successful performance in this role.

HEALTH PRODUCER

The Health Producer leads YR Media’s mental health coverage by producing original content and co-creating with young reporters, opinion writers, and artists who have unforgettable stories to tell about mental health and wellness in their own lives, communities, and the nation.

The Health Producer will lead mental health coverage by creating memorable, shareable stories across a variety of digital formats that engage, inspire, inform, and move YR audiences. We seek candidates who are equally energized by a same-day deadline pegged to breaking news as they are by the chance to program a steady flow of stand-out mental health coverage over time.

We’re looking for someone with a proven track record for reporting on health, medical and science topics in nuanced ways, and for driving conversation that matters for young people (ages 18-28) who are socially engaged, civically curious, and creating cultures of their own. This producer should love experimenting with new formats across platforms and know how to stoke and track community engagement.

Support young journalists and artists