Career Opportunities

YR Media (formerly Youth Radio) is a national network of young journalists and artists who create multimedia content for this generation. Based in Oakland, we link up with our peers around the country to amplify award-winning stories that matter. For more than 25 years, our non-profit production company has invested in future generations to build critical skills in journalism, arts and media.

We are at a pivotal point in the organization’s life as we enter into an exciting phase of growth and expansion as a national network. As we grow, we seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can lead us to the future of YR Media.

We welcome smart, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can do their best work. We seek people who are hard-working, creative, fun, and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level. We hire people who believe in the talent and potential of every young person.

We are committed to the principles of equal opportunity and diversity and to attracting and supporting a staff that represents the rich diversity of the communities we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.

YR Media is seeking the following team members:

A/V TECH ASSISTANT

The A/V Tech Assistant is responsible for assisting all broadcast and production engineering services, including management of production studios (audio/visual) and equipment. The Assistant will also work with the Production Manager on other YR Media needs.

The A/V Tech Assistant will support: student equipment, studio operations, classroom audio visual, live stream broadcasts, music production facilities, performance space, and events.

This is an entry-level role, perfect for those who have been working as a tech assistant via internships and other experiential situations.

DIRECTOR, AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT

The Director, Audience Development is responsible for leading the audience acquisition and growth strategy for the YR Media brand across owned properties, including: establishing a set of aggressive KPIs and reporting rubrics, working in tandem with the managing editors to set organization-wide content strategy, leading and managing paid and organic content marketing strategies, identifying and leading potential sponsorship and revenue generating opportunities, and managing a team of audience development staff and rotating interns.

YR Media produces a unique mix of news, opinion, documentary features, arts and culture commentary, curated and original music, a podcast a more. Successful candidates for this role are digital strategists who can engage across these channels and who can help us distribute and promote both the brand as a whole as well our unique signature products.

The ideal candidate has extensive digital marketing and social media experience, and a proven track record using data and analytics to set strategy and actionable growth plans in a content setting. Experience in a media organization, a content-driven editorial setting, and with marketing content to the target age demographic (18-28 year-olds) is preferred.

DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR

The Development Director will lead YR’s fundraising team. Working with the board, department heads and Executive Leadership, the Director will be the senior development officer, leading all revenue-generating activities. The Director is ultimately accountable for the outcomes of donor and funder pipelines from research and acquisition to cultivation, stewardship, solicitation and recognition.

Our Development Director is a strategist and tactician, establishing sustainable growth for our expanding non-profit organization. Candidates for this role should be equally comfortable leading both strategy and execution in institutional and individual donor fundraising. They will supervise the Development department across all fundraising efforts, including grant applications, membership, and major gifts both locally AND nationally.

A track record of success with in-person and written asks and relationship building with high net worth individuals, foundations, and for-profit organizations is required, as this role is responsible for raising significant gifts to meet specific individual revenue goals as well as contributing to the achievement of team outcomes. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record in annual fund development with year-over-year increases in income levels and participation rates. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical. Familiarity with media/journalism, youth development, arts, and STEAM education fundraising would be a huge asset for successful performance in this role.

DEVELOPMENT WRITER

The Development Writer is responsible for developing and writing proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations and will persuasively communicate YR Media’s mission and programs to potential funders. The Development Writer will assemble and submit grant requests and conduct prospect research.

The Development Writer is a skilled and persuasive written communicator with experience writing proposals for fundraising organizations. Familiarity with and a passion for media/journalism, youth development, arts, and STEAM education fundraising would be a preferred asset for successful performance in this role.

MEMBERSHIP MANAGER

The Membership Manager oversees the maintenance and growth of YR Media’s membership program and all aspects of member relations, including working with development team leadership to identify and steward opportunities to grow individual gift sizes.

Individuals who donate to YR Media (“members”) represent one of our most loyal audiences, and the Membership Manager will work to reward them with exclusive experiences that increase donor/subscriber conversion and retention.

The key to success in this role will be channeling marketing and product skills in support of our mission — reminding YR Media loyalists about the critical part they play in making our work possible, and incentivizing these individuals to become evangelists and financial supporters of our mission.

SOCIAL MEDIA PRODUCER

The Social Media Producer is responsible for establishing workflows to create, package, and share YR content, reporting on key social platform analytics and performance, and implementing initiatives to grow audiences. This individual must be well-versed in current and rapidly evolving social media best practices, a strong copywriter and art director, and passionate about co-creating with and mentoring young people.

YR Media is seeking a creative and seasoned producer to develop and lead social media content strategy across our owned social and brand platforms. We are looking for someone with a proven track record for creating compelling social content and driving conversation that matters for young people (ages 18-28) who are socially engaged, civically curious, and creating cultures of their own.

A key component of this new position will be to train and mentor a team of young people (age 16-24) who will produce the majority of the social creative and copy, and ultimately be responsible for conveying the YR voice.

Support young journalists and artists