Career Opportunities

Chief Development Officer

The Chief Development Officer will lead YR’s small and mighty fundraising team. Working with the board, department heads and Executive Leadership, the CDO will be the senior development officer, leading all revenue-generating activities. The CDO is ultimately accountable for the outcomes of donor and funder pipelines from research and acquisition to cultivation, stewardship, solicitation and recognition.

The CDO is also responsible for the oversight of all development operational systems including general administration functions, gift processing, donor relations, reporting/analysis, donor database management, and integration of new technologies.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Establish and deliver on annual revenue targets, planning for aggressive year-over-year increases
  • Participate as a member of the senior leadership team in decision-making, strategic planning and goal setting for the core annual operating fund, working with Executive Leadership and Development Department to identify funds needed, preferred funding targets and approaches
  • Manage a portfolio of at least 30 major gift prospects annually, cultivating and personally soliciting gifts of $10,000 and above.
  • Oversee all ongoing development efforts, ensuring engagement with multiple income sources, both individual and institutional, including corporate
  • Provide coaching, guidance and feedback to the Development team on strategy, responsibilities, and professional development
  • Work closely with the executive team to support board members in institutional and individual fundraising, helping to establish and manage key relationships between prospective supporters and organizational contacts
Skills and Qualifications:
  • 7-10 years of progressive promotion through development positions in a complex nonprofit institution, with documented success in cultivating, soliciting, closing and stewarding individual gifts of $10,000+ and six- to seven-figure institutional gifts
  • Experience planning, leading and managing development projects with success in fundraising from multiple donor channels, including setting and implementing major gift solicitation strategies and institutional application processes.
  • Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrated experience coordinating with colleagues to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors.
  • Ability to develop and present powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising with the capacity to develop & maintain effective working relationships with individuals & organizations reflecting a broad range of identities, perspectives & experiences.
  • Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university, relevant professional certificate and/or master’s degree a plus.
Salary and Benefits

This is a full-time position with health, dental, vision, 403b benefits, with a salary commensurate with experience.

Requirements
  • Cover letter
  • Resume and 2-3 writing samples

Click here to download the full job description. Send resume, cover letter and work sample to hr@yrmedia.org.

Senior Writer

Click here to apply online

The Senior Writer is primarily responsible for developing and writing proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations and will persuasively communicate YR Media’s mission and programs to potential funders.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Develop and write grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations, and persuasively communicate the organization’s mission and programs to potential funders
  • Prioritize projects to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required for proposals
  • Provide writing support for major donor and individual contribution letters and acknowledgements
  • Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
Skills and Qualifications:
  • Minimum three years of experience writing grants
  • Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive proposals
  • Strong editing skills; Attention to detail; Deadline-driven
  • Knowledge of fundraising information sources and the philanthropic landscape in the Bay Area and nationally
  • Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors
  • Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
  • Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research

Click here to apply online or download the full job description. Send resume, cover letter and work sample to hr@yrmedia.org.

Chef/Healthy Food Programs Manager

Click here to apply online

The Healthy Food Manager will be responsible for establishing relationships with local vendors and sourcing healthy snack and meal options for our youth participants. This is a FT position Monday-Thursday (10:00 am-6:00pm) Fridays (11:00am-7:00 pm), earlier and later shifts may be required to accommodate events.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Plan meals for YR Media participants utilizing sound nutritional practices; meal planning, patterns, and portions; plan meals and a variety of foods that are attractive and appealing to youth ages 14-24 and take into account children’s nutritional and cultural practices; work with parents and staff to provide special menus as needed; prepare and post daily/weekly menus.
  • Follow all guidelines related to sanitation and food safety; follow personal safety guidelines with regard to hand washing and health practices
  • Coordinate with supervisor in menu planning, food ordering, food preparation, record keeping
  • Ordering, receiving and monitoring food; maintain receipts of food purchased; reconcile food ordered, food consumed, and food left over; maintain appropriate records necessary to meet all reporting requirements.
  • Develop relationships with local farms and growers to provide healthy sustainable meals
  • Provide catering services for events such as staff meetings, board meetings and other receptions, and negotiate details of arrangements with designated staff
Required Education and Experience:
  • 2-4 years of proven kitchen leadership experience
  • California food handlers card preferred but can acquire post-hire
  • High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s or additional relevant certifications a plus.

Program Evaluation Admin

The Program Evaluation Admin will provide support on program evaluation data collection and reporting. This is a part-time position (approximately 10 hours per week) reporting to the Director of Institutional Giving.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Record, track and maintain program data in reference to grant deliverables/compliance and program outcomes across departments
  • Support the design and revision of data collection tools to yield statistically reliable and informative data
  • Perform basic analysis of survey data collected, sharing out when and where required or strategically advantageous
  • Ensure strong data management, making sure all incoming data is version-controlled and appropriately organized, and that our current stats are up-to-date.
Skills and Qualifications:
  • Strict attention to detail
  • Advanced Apricot and Microsoft Excel skills (V-lookup, advanced formulas, and pivot tables)
  • Knowledge of evaluation theory and methodology
  • Ability to clean and prep data required for all external reporting
  • Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
  • Ability to manage multiple tasks of various scope and priority simultaneously

Human Resources Director

Click here to apply online

YR is looking for an experienced Human Resources Director who is excited by the challenge of taking our youth driven, non-profit media enterprise to the next level. S/he will lead the team in building a culture of creativity and collaboration which supports staff in achieving high performance standards. The HR Director will work closely with the COO and Executive Team to ensure that all HR operations are carried out smoothly and effectively. The role is a blend of operational and strategic initiatives to align people operations with YR Media’s mission and strategic direction.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Manage all HR processes, procedures and programs to align people operations with the organization’s strategic objectives to support a healthy, sustainable, high-performance culture
  • Manage the recruitment and selection process; develop staffing strategies to build and identify talent pipelines within and outside of YR Media.
  • Assist in the development and administration of company-sponsored benefits programs and insurance programs including 403(b), health/dental/vision insurance, leave of absences, commuter benefits, etc.
  • Manage the annual performance review process and calendar, providing appropriate documentation, training, and instructions to management (with continuous improvement of the process)
    Ensure ongoing compliance with all relevant local, state and federal laws
    Work with the Chief Operating Officer to annually review company policies and Employee Handbook. Write and develop policies as required, and communicate changes to personnel policies and procedures to employees to ensure compliance.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
  • Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Administration, or related field.
  • Must have 7 to 10 years of broad-based HR experience, with considerable non-profit business operations experience.
  • Experience creating strong talent pipelines and a demonstrated ability to recruit employees and manage hiring process.
  • Demonstrated experience with developing and managing employee benefit programs.
  • Demonstrated knowledge of applicable state and federal employment laws and governmental compliance requirements
  • Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization and exercise a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism and diplomacy to accomplish objectives.

Producer, Mental Health 

Click here to apply online

YR is looking for a Producer to lead our mental health coverage by creating memorable, shareable stories across a variety of digital formats that engage, inspire, inform, and move YR audiences. We’re looking for someone with a proven track record for reporting on health, medical and science topics in nuanced ways, and for driving conversation that matters for young people (ages 18-28) who are socially engaged, civically curious, and creating cultures of their own. The ideal candidate should love experimenting with new formats across platforms and know how to stoke and track community engagement.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Create a steady flow of digital- and social-first content related to mental health across multiple formats including video, photo, illustration, audio and interactive.
  • Constantly watch the web and social–as well as research and policy–for trending stories related to mental health and quickly find the fresh angle YR can bring to drive the conversation forward
  • Develop signature products and stories related to youth mental health that destigmatize challenges, dispel stereotypes, and give young people agency
  • Source and co-create content with teen and young adult contributors from across YR’s National Network and those connected to our Oakland-based News and Arts teams
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
  • Minimum three years’ relevant experience in journalism (preferred) or media production
  • Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), preferably in broadcast, multimedia, or print journalism; communications; or marketing
  • Track record of training (through formal education and/or on-the-job) and body of media work that reflects advanced knowledge of mental health
  • Creative mind with the discipline and organizational skills to execute on vision
  • Excellent editing skills, including copy editing/writing and fact-checking
  • The ability to create visual stories that are compelling, inspiring, and have journalistic integrity
  • Graphic design/creative experience or skills

Click here to apply online or download the full job description. Send resume, cover letter and work sample to hr@yrmedia.org.

Support young journalists and artists