Career Opportunities

Design & Illustration Instructor

Click here to apply online

YR Media is seeking a part-time instructor for our training programs. The instructor will be responsible for teaching graphic design, illustration and social media skills to students ages 14-24. This position holds principal oversight of the training for YR Media’s design & illustration track, as well as oversees the work of interns and Project Associates -peer youth educators –that teach for the program. Applicants with experience working with Bay Area youth from different backgrounds are encouraged to
apply.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Classroom instruction for YR Media’s design & illustration track
  • Teach design and illustration skills to groups of of 5-12 students
  • Supervise team of peer youth educators
  • Evaluate student and peer youth educator projects
  • Adapt and facilitate curricula specific to youth teaching cohort
  • Incorporate media literacy into curriculum
  • Edit students’ work for accuracy and professionalism
  • Maintain classroom and building rules and a safe a professional learning/working environment
Work Experience Requirements:
  • Teaching Experience in classroom or community settings with a minimum of 2 years of experience in the field
  • Expertise with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Graphic Tablets
  • Experience with social media promotion
  • Expertise with DSLR cameras
  • Demonstrated classroom management skills
  • Youth development practitioner experience
Position/Salary:
  • 21 hours per week (part-time)
  • Must be available 3-7pm Monday – Thursday and 3-8pm Fridays

Click here to apply online or download the full job description. Send resume, cover letter, references and work sample to hr@yrmedia.org.

Human Resources Director

Click here to apply online

YR is looking for an experienced Human Resources Director who is excited by the challenge of taking our youth driven, non-profit media enterprise to the next level. S/he will lead the team in building a culture of creativity and collaboration which supports staff in achieving high performance standards. The HR Director will work closely with the COO and Executive Team to ensure that all HR operations are carried out smoothly and effectively. The role is a blend of operational and strategic initiatives to align people operations with YR Media’s mission and strategic direction.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Manage all HR processes, procedures and programs to align people operations with the organization’s strategic objectives to support a healthy, sustainable, high-performance culture
  • Manage the recruitment and selection process; develop staffing strategies to build and identify talent pipelines within and outside of YR Media.
  • Assist in the development and administration of company-sponsored benefits programs and insurance programs including 403(b), health/dental/vision insurance, leave of absences, commuter benefits, etc.
  • Manage the annual performance review process and calendar, providing appropriate documentation, training, and instructions to management (with continuous improvement of the process)
    Ensure ongoing compliance with all relevant local, state and federal laws
    Work with the Chief Operating Officer to annually review company policies and Employee Handbook. Write and develop policies as required, and communicate changes to personnel policies and procedures to employees to ensure compliance.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
  • Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Administration, or related field.
  • Must have 7 to 10 years of broad-based HR experience, with considerable non-profit business operations experience.
  • Experience creating strong talent pipelines and a demonstrated ability to recruit employees and manage hiring process.
  • Demonstrated experience with developing and managing employee benefit programs.
  • Demonstrated knowledge of applicable state and federal employment laws and governmental compliance requirements
  • Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization and exercise a high degree of confidentiality, professionalism and diplomacy to accomplish objectives.

Click here to apply online or download the full job description. Send resume, cover letter and work sample to hr@yrmedia.org.

Producer, Mental Health 

Click here to apply online

YR is looking for a Producer to lead our mental health coverage by creating memorable, shareable stories across a variety of digital formats that engage, inspire, inform, and move YR audiences. We’re looking for someone with a proven track record for reporting on health, medical and science topics in nuanced ways, and for driving conversation that matters for young people (ages 18-28) who are socially engaged, civically curious, and creating cultures of their own. The ideal candidate should love experimenting with new formats across platforms and know how to stoke and track community engagement.

Position Responsibilities:
  • Create a steady flow of digital- and social-first content related to mental health across multiple formats including video, photo, illustration, audio and interactive.
  • Constantly watch the web and social–as well as research and policy–for trending stories related to mental health and quickly find the fresh angle YR can bring to drive the conversation forward
  • Develop signature products and stories related to youth mental health that destigmatize challenges, dispel stereotypes, and give young people agency
  • Source and co-create content with teen and young adult contributors from across YR’s National Network and those connected to our Oakland-based News and Arts teams
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
  • Minimum three years’ relevant experience in journalism (preferred) or media production
  • Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), preferably in broadcast, multimedia, or print journalism; communications; or marketing
  • Track record of training (through formal education and/or on-the-job) and body of media work that reflects advanced knowledge of mental health
  • Creative mind with the discipline and organizational skills to execute on vision
  • Excellent editing skills, including copy editing/writing and fact-checking
  • The ability to create visual stories that are compelling, inspiring, and have journalistic integrity
  • Graphic design/creative experience or skills

Click here to apply online or download the full job description. Send resume, cover letter and work sample to hr@yrmedia.org.

Support young journalists and artists