DIY

DIY: YR Media News Tone

05.31.19
DIY: YR Media News Tone

There’s a lot about journalism that applies no matter what outlet you’re writing for, so we won’t spend time here going through the basics.

Instead, we want to focus on something a lot more specific but harder to pin down: the YR Media News Tone.

Our contributors cover a huge range of beats from every corner of America, but there’s a certain set of qualities we look for in all our stories. That’s what you’re about to figure out here!

We can’t wait to see what you make of it.

Before you start writing, you’ll need to know who we are and who your audience is.

We are a dynamic destination for next-generation news and arts by and for young adults (under 30) who are culturally engaged and civically curious from across urban, suburban and rural America.

Click through the slides for examples of each quality.

[gallery columns="5" link="file" size="full" ids="58356,58358,58357,58359,58360"]

So now that you have an idea of what YR Media News Tone is,  you can create stories that are both authentic to your experience/expertise and likely to be published on our platform. Here’s a checklist so you can see where your story aligns with YR Media News Tone.