Howard University Students Win Big As 9-Day Sit-In Ends

04.06.18
Howard University Students Win Big As 9-Day Sit-In Ends (The doors of the administration building opened for the first time since the demonstration started. Photo by Kyra Azore.)
TheWashington DC nine-day student sit-in at Howard University has ended. After more than a week of occupying the university’s administration building, student leaders and administration have agreed to eight of the original nine demands, which included adequate housing for all students under 21, addressing campus rape culture, and disarming campus police officers. HU Resist leaders had originally called for university president Wayne A.I. Frederick’s resignation, but relented after negotiations. As of Friday afternoon, students were moving out of the school's administration building and posting reactions to the end of the sit-in. Students booed and sang “Nah nah nah goodbye” as university president left the final negotiation meeting.