Leadership

CEO Kyra Kyles

Kyra has spent over 20 years in the media industry, with a consistent emphasis on equity and representation and an impressive track record of expanding young audiences and leading sustainable organizational growth.

In her most recent role as the Field Foundation’s Program Officer of Media and Storytelling, she managed a groundbreaking equity-focused journalism and documentary filmmaking fund, the first of its kind in the organization’s history. Before joining the Field Foundation, she was with EBONY Media Operations, most recently as Editor-in-Chief and Senior Vice President of Digital Editorial, where she expanded audiences, created new revenue streams, and scaled up operations, including establishing a Los Angeles office and an in-house branded and original content studio.

Kyra also worked at the Chicago Tribune for six years, where she was recruited specifically to attract and energize young audiences via its millennial-focused RedEye brand. In addition to achieving this, she increased the Tribune’s multicultural coverage and gained recognition as a digital pioneer, print reporter, blogger, on-air personality and well-known pundit.

Kyra continues to demonstrate her commitment to youth empowerment as a volunteer member of the Board of Advisors for Dream on Education, a Chicago-based youth development organization and, previously, as two-time President of the award-winning National Association of Black Journalists-Chicago where she built a mentorship program connecting students and working members of the media.  Kyra also has served as a tutor and mentor for high school students at the Mercy Home for Girls.

Listen to Kyra discuss YR Media with Art Sims of WVON

Board of Directors

Board members have a fiduciary responsibility and provide leadership and guidance on fundraising, finances, governances, and organizational development. Read More

Letter from YR Media’s Board Chair Luc Bellet