Do’s and Don’ts of Handling College Burnout

The spring semester seems to go by in a heartbeat, which means midterms and finals and planning for summer internships are probably jumping at you. There are little things you can do every day to avoid burnout.

04.13.22
Do’s and Don’ts of Handling College Burnout (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Autumn Kaufman

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

Make a clear work schedule

One way to avoid burnout is to create a schedule that shows a clear difference between working and nonworking hours. On your schedule, list the hours that you have class, and then approximately how many hours of homework you have, as well as hours for work and internships.

Plan your manis and pedis

Similar to the last tip, try planning out your self-care activities. Although it may seem silly, writing in your daily planner “watch Harry Potter at 7 p.m.” will help to ensure that you are incorporating enough personal time in your day.

Take a trip

When you can tell a burnout is lingering, try planning a trip for next summer or even a day trip for the coming weekend.

Cut down on overworking

Prioritize what’s really important to get done, and cut out the rest until you feel your battery is charged up again. If you have three internships and classes that are draining you dry, try to communicate with one of your internships and ask if you can take a week or two off for your mental health.

Understand yourself

Before you reach full-on burnout mode — laying in bed for days in a row and developing apathy for every class you have — it’s important to stop burnout in its tracks.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.