Gen Z Trends Embraced by Millennials

04.27.22
Gen Z Trends Embraced by Millennials (Norbert Braun via Unsplash)

ChicagoWhile Gen Z and millennials have their differences, there are points of agreement between the two generations. Many of those differences, or trends, were started by the younger generation and are now finally starting to be embraced by their predecessors. 

Here are three examples of Gen Z trends taking off among millennials, according to Purewow:

Prioritizing mental health 

A survey by the American Psychological Association indicated that Gen Z were more inclined to report their own mental health as fair and bad and to take action to improve it, but millennials were more willing to advocate for mental health recognition. 

New research reveals that millennials are following in Gen Z’s footsteps, according to Deloitte Consulting. Work-life balance was revealed to be a major factor in the selection of millennials by the study. They are also drawn to companies that promote the physical and emotional well-being of their employees.

Embracing body positivity 

Gen Z, who grew up in the digital age, is partly responsible for the rise of body positivity as a result of the detrimental effects of social media platforms. Though millennials grew up in an era where they were inundated with one-dimensional standards of beauty, certain members of the generation, such as rapper Lizzo, have gone on to become icons of the movements they grew up with.

Using informal email sign-offs 

Email sign-offs like "Sincerely yours," "Yours sincerely" and "Yours truly" are no longer popular with Gen Z. An alternative to the more formal "Thank you for your time" is the lighter and less formal "Insert pleasantry" and "Hasta la pasta." The millennial generation's aim to be as professional as possible runs counter to this attitude, yet some members of the elder generation believe that their younger colleagues are on to something.

"I think some of the funny ones like 'Hasta la pasta' and 'Please hesitate to call' are OK," said Yasmine Perez, an NYC-based, 28-year-old graphic designer. "They sort of break up the monotony of work life in a weird way. The harsher ones though, should be reserved for like your work bestie or something. It'd be crazy to send that to a client."