Simone Biles ‘Still Scared’ After Gymnastics Break

10.27.21
Simone Biles ‘Still Scared’ After Gymnastics Break (Photo: Scott Strazzante/San Francisco Chronicle via Getty Images)

ChicagoSimone Biles continues to struggle with performing gymnastic routines after withdrawing from events in the Tokyo Olympics. 

Though she’s back on the mat at the Gold Over America Tour, she only does her signature move on the floor exercise and doesn’t perform any mid-air twisting in the show, the gold medalist told NBC News, noting she’s “still scared to do gymnastics.”

"To do something that I've done forever and just not be able to do it because of everything I've gone through is really crazy because I love this sport so much," said the 24-year-old. "It's hard. I’m sorry. And I don't think people understand the magnitude of what I go through, but for so many years to go through everything that I've gone through having a front, I’m proud of myself."

After opening up about her struggles, Biles wants to help others facing similar challenges. It led her to invest in and work with the mental health and telemedicine app Cerebral. She serves as the Chief Impact Officer. 

Biles also prioritizes her mental health while on tour by seeing a therapist every week.