Content in partnership with All Things Considered

Fast Food Scramble

05.03.16
Fast Food Scramble
Final Emoji In our new series, Fast Food Scramble, Youth Radio reporters partnered with NPR's Sonari Glinton to capture stories about today's fast food market -- everything from companies using emojis to help sell tacos to teens, to the disappearing $5 meal, to seventh graders cooking up profits for their school by selling pre-prepared meals online.
The Future Of Fast Food: Convenience With A Conscience By: Natalie Bettendorf Not so long ago, takeout meant cheap, quick, greasy meals. But today, younger consumers say they want a different kind of fast food -- fresh, healthy and, if possible, connected to community.  In Berkeley, California, one startup is putting the future of fast food into the hands of less than conventional cooks, including a middle school garden program.

5dollarchallenge#5dollarchallenge

It’s not easy to find great cheap food, but we know it’s out there. We need you to help us find it. Check the take-aways from our #5dollarchallenge, and explore the highlights on our interactive map!   The Taco Emoji HappenedFrom Taco Emojis to Pancakes On Fleek: Fast Food Brands Target Teens On Social Media By: NPR's Sonari Glinton & Billy Cruz Teens love fast food. But they hate listening to adults. That’s a real problem if you’re a modern fast food company. Many are trying their hand at social media to reach teens...with mixed success.

takeout boxes What’s for Dinner? By: NPR's Sonari Glinton Eighty percent of Americans say they don’t know what they’re having for dinner at 4 p.m. This is creating opportunities and challenges for fast food and fast casual restaurants, supermarkets and even drug store chains.