Moving Across the Country? We’ve Got Helpful Tips to Ease the Transition

06.09.23
Moving Across the Country? We’ve Got Helpful Tips to Ease the Transition (Michal Balog via Unsplash)

Rather a new job, new fond opportunities or just looking for a fresh start, moving anywhere away from home will be a new start. A new state, a new city, new vibes! But there are things you should take into account before moving.

If you already have a high-paying job and want to transfer to another state, one thing to look into is whether your pay will increase or decrease. With some jobs, they will not match the minimum wage. I was a manager at an athletic shoe store in Oregon and when I moved to Atlanta, my pay drastically decreased to less than half what I was making. I ended up deciding to look for other jobs. Always check job boards and career sites such as LinkedIn to make connections to people who work where you’d like to be.

When looking for an apartment, even if you cannot physically be there to tour it, there are options for virtual tours with leasing offices. One thing is to read all the apartment reviews. Former residents know what it is like with the leasing office and property.  Make a list of several properties that you are interested in and carefully read the reviews. They will tell you everything you need to know, from how often maintenance comes to sightings of rodents and insects.

Calculate your moving expenses. Rather driving or shipping your items, make sure you know where all your items are. Keep all valuables and important documents with you. Those are things that are the most important you don’t want to misplace. 

Purchase some items beforehand, including sheets, blankets, towels, toilet paper and dishes.  Buy all the things you need so when you move you will have everything you need. Furniture can be bought at a later time, but for the time being until getting a bed, utilize an air mattress. Thrifting will also be a benefit to you for coffee tables, lamps, etc.  

When you move in, please do deep cleaning so it can immediately make you feel at home. Certain properties do clean units before the next tenant comes but nine times out of 10, they do a simple look over the unit and do surface cleaning.

Moving is stressful, rather up the road, down the highway or across the world, these tips will assist you on your next move.

Miracle Trice, (she/her) is from Portland but is an Atlanta-based journalist who covers all aspects of  entertainment and culture. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @miracletb_