Race ISH

11.29.18
Race ISH

Actor Marcus Scribner, aka Junior from Black-ish, dances with questions about interracial dating and HBCUs (2:19). Then Ashlee Haze, a two-time finalist for the Women of the World Poetry Slam, talks about her Missy Elliot Poem and shares an exclusive piece (16:49). We cap the show off with Comedian Ronny Chieng, a senior correspondent on The Daily Show, who lovingly talks sh*t about sh*t-talking Asians (35:07).

#GOALS: Actor Marcus Scribner

"Black math?” “No! I learned MATH, homie!"
(Courtesy of Marcus Scribner)

Actor Marcus Scribner, aka Junior from Black-ish, is now an almost-adult on the TV screen and IRL. Co-hosts Merk Nguyen and Nyge Turner make him dance with questions about interracial dating and historically black colleges and universities.

Slam Poet Royalty Ashlee Haze

"When I saw Missy Elliott, that was the first time I saw somebody who looked like me."
(Courtesy of Ashlee Haze)

Ashlee Haze, a two-time finalist for the Women of the World Poetry Slam, brings down the house by digging into the details of her Missy Elliott poem and shares an exclusive piece. Nyge, Merk, and Ashlee then dive into the inspiration and meaning behind her work. Let’s just say it includes thoughts marinating over time, valuing self-worth, and doing body rolls in a corset.

Momma I Made It: Ronny Chieng

"If we only got to know each other, we would have bonded over how awful we all are."
(Courtesy of Ronny Chieng)

Not only is he a senior correspondent on The Daily Show, comedian Ronny Chieng also played the fly a-hole cousin in Crazy Rich Asians and recently dropped Ronny Chieng: International Student, a sitcom on Comedy Central based on his experiences as an international student in Australia. He also tells Merk and Nyge about sh*t-talking Asians and how his Singaporean/Malaysian accent helped him book his role on the silver screen.

Be sure to subscribe on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher or Google and follow us on IG, Twitter, and FB!