Episode 5: Race ISH

Episode 5: Race ISH

11.29.18
11.29.18

Actor Marcus Scribner, aka Junior from Black-ish, dances with questions about interracial dating and HBCUs (2:31). Then Ashlee Haze, a two-time finalist for the Women of the World Poetry Slam, talks about her Missy Elliot Poem and shares an exclusive piece (16:33). We cap the show off with Comedian Ronny Chieng, a senior correspondent on The Daily Show lovingly talks sh*t about sh*t-talking Asians (34:56). And

#GOALS: Actor Marcus Scribner

“Black math?” “No! I learned MATH, homie!”

Actor Marcus Scribner, aka Junior from Black-ish, is now an almost adult on the TV screen and IRL. YR Media’s Merk Nguyen and Nyge Turner make him dance with questions about interracial dating and historically black colleges and universities.

Slam Poet Royalty Ashlee Haze

“When I saw Missy Elliott, that was the first time I saw somebody who looked like me.”

Ashlee Haze, a two-time finalist for the Women of the World Poetry Slam, talks to YR Media’s Nyge Turner and Merk Nguyen. Ashlee brings down the house by digging into the details of her Missy Elliott poem and shares an exclusive piece. The three then dive into the inspiration and meaning behind Ashlee’s work. Let’s just say it includes letting thoughts marinate over time, valuing self-worth, and a combo of doing body rolls in a corset.

Momma I Made It: Ronny Chieng

“If we only got to know each other, we would have bonded over how awful we all are.”

Not only is he a senior correspondent on The Daily Showcomedian Ronny Chieng also played the fly a-hole cousin in Crazy Rich Asians and recently dropped Ronny Chieng: International Student, a sitcom on Comedy Central based on his experiences as an international student in Australia. He also tells Merk and Nyge about sh*t-talking Asians and how his Singaporean/Malaysian accent helped him book his role on the silver screen.

Be sure to Subscribe and follow us on IG, Twitter, and FB!

Support young journalists and artists