Content in partnership with App Store

How Are You Feeling? Keep Track With This New App

04.25.18

Mood Ring is Youth Radio’s app that helps you track emotions, reach out to friends, and feel like your best self.

You can check out all the awesome features of the app itself now that it is in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

While so many apps are made by adults for teens, Mood Ring was conceptualized, designed, and developed by youth, with youth, for youth.

It all started here at Youth Radio — a youth-driven non-profit production company and national network —  where we prepare young people from all backgrounds for the digital workplace. That means hands-on education and direct employment in journalism, arts, and technology. Our students learn and earn.

Young people in Youth Radio’s Interactive department use a combination of reporting, design, data, and code to make digital products like Mood Ring. We work with professional collaborators at our headquarters in Oakland, California as well as industry and university partners — like our amazing colleagues at MIT’s App Inventor Project who helped make Mood Ring. We also got a boost from our friends at Kaiser, who provided support and important insights.

For even more apps — like our fake news quiz, a guide to addressing sexual misconduct in high schools, and a look at gentrification in Oakland — check out Youth Radio Interactive’s work here.

Apps are only part of what Youth Radio does! Our national network and partnerships with outlets like NPR, The New York Times, and Teen Vogue provide a platform for next-generation storytelling to reach millions. Which means we’re making audio and print stories, videos, music, poetry, infographics, and live events all year round.

You’ve already found our website now don’t miss any of our exciting stories and releases by signing up for our newsletter to get the latest news. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.

Thank YOU for checking out Mood Ring, and thanks to all these folks who made it possible!

• Asha Richardson - Lead Product Designer
  • Kadeem Palacios - Lead Developer
  • Namiye Peoples
  • Jazon Blasher
  • Storm White
  • Seth Marceau
  • Shanya Williams
  • Jessica Wang
  • Gabriel Saravia
  • Donta Jackson
  • Cassandra Xiloxochitl Gutierrez
  • Desmond Meagley
  • Lissa Soep

FUNDERS:

This work is supported in part by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. DRL-1513282 and Grant No. DRL-1614239, and by Kaiser Permanente.