Feeling Some Type of Way? Find Resources Here

08.06.19
Feeling Some Type of Way? Find Resources Here (Visuals by Nimah Gobir.)

Sometimes when we read about other people's intense experiences, our own stuff comes up. We put together some resources for you in case you find yourself needing a little extra support after digging into these stories.

NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION LIFELINE: 1‑800‑273‑TALK (8255)

If you or someone you know is suicidal or in emotional distress, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Trained crisis workers are available to talk 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your confidential and toll-free call goes to the nearest crisis center in the Lifeline national network. These centers provide crisis counseling and mental health referrals.

You can also contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741.

Just feeling some type of way? Talk to someone.

Find a Mental Health Professional

1. Your first stop is your primary care doctor. You’ll need to make sure your physical health isn’t what has you feeling down.

2. Ask for help finding a therapist or mental health specialist. It might take a little while to get an appointment. Make sure you are clear with your doctor if you need to see someone right away.

3. Look for a mental health professional who works for you. You may have to try out a few to find one that fits. 

National Alliance on Mental Health (NAMI) may offer a local peer support group that you can go to in the meantime. They’re also just a great mental health resource in general.

You’re in good company (and definitely not alone).

Nearly 1 in 5 adults in the U.S. (46.6 million) experiences mental illness in a given year.

What even is insurance?

On their website, NAMI breaks down the different types of insurance plans and how to use your insurance to meet your needs.

To summarize...

Related: stories that go #beyondselfcare to start a new conversation about mental health.