YR Classes

YR Media is located in the heart of downtown Oakland, California

Classes at YR provide hands-on production experience. You’ll collaborate with professionals and peers to learn marketable skills in media and digital technology. You’ll be prepared for production internships and expanded education and career opportunities.

WANNA JOIN US?

Apply online

High school students between the ages of 14 and 18 are eligible to apply for our free, in-house training programs. After six months, you are eligible to apply for paid production internships with the YR Media enterprise.

In your first three months, you’ll produce a weekly radio show and learn the fundamentals of journalism, music production, photography, design and marketing. Class meets Wednesday and Friday afternoons.

In your second three months, you’ll specialize in one media concentration: Journalism, Music, Design & Illustration or Video. Students graduate with a capstone project and a professional resume. Class meets Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

BUILD

Building Unity in Lives Daily

The BUILD program is YR Restorative Justice program for Oakland youth that qualify. With intensive Restorative Justice training, students will lead restorative interventions and echo the importance of self and community healing that is centered around Restorative Circles. After six months of training, you can become an ambassador of Restorative Justice practices. As a BUILD student, you are simultaneously enrolled in the technical training program, so you would be with us four afternoons a week.

Interested? Apply online or Download an application. Applications can be submitted at any time. We enroll new students four times a year and we will contact you for an interview a few weeks before a session begins.

• Winter session: Jan 14 – March 22, 2019
  • Spring session: April 8 – June 14, 2019

ARE YOU 18-24?

The Digital Media & Technology Pathways Program is a 9-month State of California certified on-the-job training workforce program for out-of-school, low-income Oakland youth ages 18-24.

Learn more + apply

WHAT’S IT LIKE AT YR?

As a youth who’s involved with YR , we have people here that can help you with academics, personal matters and we have healthy food everyday.

Learn more

Support young journalists and artists