YR Media Classes

YR Media is located in the heart of downtown Oakland, California

Classes at YR provide hands-on production experience. You’ll collaborate with professionals and peers to learn marketable skills in media and digital technology. You’ll be prepared for production internships and expanded education and career opportunities.

Apply Today

High school students between the ages of 14 and 18 are eligible to apply for our free, in-house training programs. After six months, you are eligible to apply for paid production internships with the YR Media enterprise.

In your first three months, you’ll produce a radio show and learn the fundamentals of journalism, podcasting, video, photography, and design. Class meets Wednesday and Friday afternoons.

In your second three months, you’ll specialize in one media concentration: Journalism, Audio Production, Design & Illustration or Video & Photography. Students graduate with a media portfolio. Class meets Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

Apply online

WHAT’S IT LIKE AT YR?

As a youth who’s involved with YR , we have people here that can help you with academics, personal matters and we have healthy food everyday.

Learn more

Gift Card Terms and Conditions

1. Only participants located in the 50 United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico are eligible to enter.
  2. Must be at least 14 years of age.
  3. The entry period begins at 12:00 am PST on January 14, 2022 at ends at 11:59 pm PST on January 21, 2022
  4. The gift cards will be raffled off at the end of the Winter 2022 session to the participants who complete the program. Session ends April 1, 2022
  5. Only new participants are eligible.
  6. Entry into the program does not guarantee gift card
  7. By signing up, you give YR Media permission to use the information included in your application for contacting you with information about next steps in enrollment and contacting you about future sessions if you miss this one
  8. Taxes are the sole responsibility of prize winners.
  9. Digital gift cards will be issued in the form of a digital redemption code. Ten digital gift cards of $50 will be raffled after participants have completed the 2022 session.
  10. Digital gift card codes will be emailed to the email address provided in the sign up form.
  11. Winners will be notified within 7-10 business days after the course is completed.