Adult ISH is a culture, advice and storytelling podcast produced entirely by folks who are almost adults.

In March, the American Library Association (ALA) announced 4,240 unique book titles were requested to be banned from schools and libraries last year. The latest number of attempted book bans sets a new record, by a 65-percent increase over 2022’s previous highpoint (since the ALA has been tracking book censorship statistics). Nearly half of the books targeted are written by or about people of color and/or on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. Adult ISH hosts Nyge Turner and Dominique “Dom” French kick off season 11 by speaking to Traci Thomas, host of “The Stacks” podcast, and Scott Stuart, author of “My Shadow is Purple,” about how removing access to books can cause harm.

Adult ISH is produced by YR Media and distributed by PRX’s Radiotopia.

Be sure to follow all our socials @YRAdultISH!

Please show your support for Adult ISH by making a donation at: https://www.yrmedia.org/donate. THANK YOU!

Meet the Hosts

Nygel “Nyge” Turner (he/him) is an Oakland, California-based creator whose audio and written work has appeared in The Guardian, Snap Judgment, the CBC, and many other outlets. Nyge is a Bay Area-based lover of food, sports, and, most importantly, music. He loves the outdoors and has also watched almost every show on every streaming service.
Listen to previous seasons with his former and still beloved co-host Merk Nguyen in our archives.

Dominique “Dom” French (she/they) is a Black, femme, and disabled podcaster. Dom is the recipient of the Signal Awards for Best Conversation Starter (Black Enough) and Best Co-host (Adult ISH). A Northwestern University grad, Dominique has collaborated with the National Museum of African American History and Culture and contributed to the Smithsonian Anthology of Hip-Hop and Rap. The Georgia native loves making audio that explores the personal impact of systemic injustice, girly things, and the humor in hardship.

Season 11

Season 10

Season 9

Season 8