Are You Eating the Dirtiest Foods?

The 12 food items on the “2023 Dirty Dozen List” are: strawberries, spinach, kale/collard greens/mustard greens, peaches, pears, nectarines, apples, grapes, bell peppers and hot peppers, cherries, blueberries and green beans.

04.12.23
Are You Eating the Dirtiest Foods? (Artur Rutkowski via Unsplash)

Los AngelesNow that I’m in the real world as a young adult, it’s my responsibility to grocery shop and take care of myself. However, the economy has definitely changed for the Gen Z era that I’ve grown up in with my peers. Since the devastating 2008 economic crash, the U.S. hasn’t been at the same level since unemployment, grocery prices, and more have continuously begun to increase.

Not only have “eating out” prices increased, but the cost of shopping for groceries is basically equivalent to the same amount. Now there’s more cause for concern if citizens are attempting to eat more healthy and go out less. Twelve key foods have been identified as more likely to carry pesticide residue. I was shocked to find out that one of my favorite fruits and vegetables rank as the dirtiest produce on the 2023 Dirty Dozen from the Environmental Working Group: strawberries and spinach.

The 15 food items on the “2023 Clean Fifteen List” are avocados, sweet corn, pineapple, onions, papaya, sweet peas (frozen), asparagus, honeydew melon, kiwi, cabbage, mushrooms, cantaloupe, sweet potatoes, watermelon and carrots.