Content in partnership with True Star

Hey, Chicago! Need Plans for Juneteenth?

06.17.24
Hey, Chicago! Need Plans for Juneteenth? (Getty Images)

Did you know that slavery remained legal even after the establishment of Juneteenth? All up until the 13th amendment had been ratified by enough states to become law through the U.S. on December 6, 1865. On June 19, 1865, the birth of Juneteenth took place. 

U.S. General Gordon Granger informed enslaved people in Galveston, Texas, that they were free. This announcement occurred two and a half years after Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation back on January 1, 1863.

So how can you celebrate Juneteenth as a Chicagoan? 

Chicago’s DuSable All-day Event: One of Chicago’s favorite museums is the DuSable Black History Museum and Education Center. Named after the early founder of Chicago – Jean Baptiste Point Du Sable – museum will be honoring Juneteenth by hosting a day-long event on June 19, from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

The Creative Circle: The Creative Circle is the place where artists and creators collaborate and inspire others through sharing their creativity. On June 19, from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., they’ll be hosting an event for Chicago creatives to network and display their work. 

White Sox Game: On Juneteenth at 7:10 p.m, the White Sox will be playing against the Houston Astros. Tickets start at $5, so grab your buckets, fill them with cheese, and enjoy the summer game!

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.