Move Beyond the Rhetoric: Gen Z and Gun Violence

Americans are two times more likely to lose a loved one due to gun violence than they are to be left-handed.

09.18.24
Move Beyond the Rhetoric: Gen Z and Gun Violence (Getty Images)

It is evident that gun violence has taken a physical and mental toll on lives and that no one is immune to its horrific consequences. In the United States, there were 48,000 deaths relating to gun violence in 2022, which makes up an average of one death in 11 minutes. Not even former President Donald Trump, who was injured by gunfire during a  rally in Pennsylvania, is safe from gun violence. 

The matter of gun violence and how it will be combatted is outlined by two presidential candidates, Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris. His campaign stance on gun violence is centered on uplifting the Second Amendment by opposing measures that he believes would hinder the ownership of a firearm. His campaign opposes gun control laws that restrict the selling and use of different types of firearms. 

To act upon gun violence being an issue in America, Trump wants to support mental health interventions while increasing security measures in the classrooms. His overall view on gun violence is to combat limited gun regulations and, instead, support law enforcement to enforce the laws more rigorously.

On the other hand, Harris offers a different approach to addressing gun violence in America. She supports laws to reduce gun violence, such as universal background checks, an assault weapons ban and restrictions placed on high-capacity magazine weapons. Harris had claimed that gun violence was a public health crisis throughout her campaign and advocated for background checks. She plans to get laws in place that address the root causes of gun violence and believes in comprehensive gun control reforms. 

Overall, gun violence can no longer be ignored and is undoubtedly taking the national stage as a top issue among Gen Z voters. This presidential election can and will decide the future and next steps on where we go from here when trying to combat gun violence. The choice is in the voters’ hands, and with that alone, the candidates’ differing visions for addressing gun violence in America will be voted on Nov. 5. 

Ashleigh Ewald (She/her/hers) is a Georgia-based journalist who is graduating early from Oglethorpe University in December. Follow her on IG: @ashleighewaldofficial.