HBCU Week Foundation Partners with Disney to Help Make HBCUs More Accessible

Millions of dollars in scholarships will be available for high schoolers at this year's fair at Disney World.

09.20.24
HBCU Week Foundation Partners with Disney to Help Make HBCUs More Accessible (Getty Images)

Every other year, The HBCU Week Foundations hosts a college fair to help prepare high schools with the resources they need to enroll, scholarships to help lower student loan debt and spread awareness about HBCUs. The organization provides scholarship dollars for matriculation and sustains a pathway for employment from college to corporate America. 

This year, the nonprofit will host the two-day fair Oct. 23-24 at Walt Disney World Resort for the second time, partnering with their initiative Disney on the Yard. 

Disney on the Yard is a program that provides HBCU students and alumni with various opportunities throughout the year such as internships, mentorships and event events on HBCU campuses. The program has deepened engagement and relationships to HBCUs. 

“It’s incredibly heartwarming to see the smiles and excitement on these students’ faces when they receive acceptance letters and scholarships,” said Avis Lewis, executive champion of Disney on the Yard. “This kind of joy fuels Disney’s Commitment to supporting this event and Disney on the Yard. We want to provide these students with the chance to attend college and pursue successful careers, and we view this as just the beginning of their journey.”

At the last college fair hosted by Foundation, there were more than 8,000 attendees and over $11 million in scholarships available. Ensuring that students have the opportunity not to acquire student loan debt is a big part of the organization. 

“I am incredibly grateful to Walt Disney World Resort for its unwavering support in providing high school students with the opportunity to participate in one of the largest college fairs in the nation,” said Ashley Christopher, founder of HBCU Week Foundation. “Their commitment not only opens doors to HBCUs but also paves a path towards a debt-free education for these bright young minds. Together, we are shaping a future where dreams know no financial barriers.”

High schoolers from around the country are invited and encouraged to attend. Over 40 HBCUs will be in attendance, giving students the opportunity for on-the-spot admissions and plenty of four-year scholarships worth millions of dollars. The fair gives prospective students a peek at the large culture, legacy and history supplied by HBCUs while adding Disney’s magic. 

For more information about the HBCU Week Foundation College Fair and for students to register for the college fair, visit www.HBCUWeek.org.

Ariyana Griffin is a graduate student from Morgan State University. She is a California native and also a graduate of Clark Atlanta University. Follow her on X: @Ariyanaaganee and Instagram: @ari.yana.g.