The 21 Savage Petition Isn’t the Only Proof Americans Support Immigrants

02.05.19
The 21 Savage Petition Isn’t the Only Proof Americans Support Immigrants (Rapper 21 Savage. (Photo: Ralph Arvesen/Wikimedia Commons))

A rapper's possible deportation is proving a bigger point: most Americans want undocumented immigrants to have a way to stay in the U.S. legally, according to recent polling.

Rapper 21 Savage was arrested over the weekend and placed under deportation proceedings for allegedly overstaying his visa, according to news reports.

The rapper, whose real name is Sha Yaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was brought to the United States from the U.K. as a child, according to his lawyer in an interview with NBC News. When he arrived, Abraham-Joseph's family had visas, but when they expired he and his family continued to stay in the U.S., his lawyer said.

Most fans assumed 21 Savage was originally from Atlanta, a city he's closely associated with.

The rapper could face deportation and a 10 year ban from entering the U.S.

21 Savage is best known for his hit songs “X,” “Bank Account” and “Rockstar” in collaboration with Post Malone.

Since his arrest, there's been an outpouring of support from artists and fans asking he be released. Black Lives Matter and United We Dream, along with other advocates, created an online petition, #Free21Savage, demanding ICE officials stop deportation proceedings and release the rapper immediately. As of today, the petition has more than 170,000 signatures.

This overwhelming support towards an undocumented immigrant reflects how Americans feel on the issue of immigration. The vast majority of Americans — 81 percent — support a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants in the U.S., according to a recent Gallup Poll

Here are some more interesting findings from Gallup:

• 61 percent oppose deporting all undocumented immigrants back to their home country.
  • 60 percent oppose significant new construction on border walls.
  • 75 percent favor hiring more Border Patrol agents.