10 Tracks That Slap

01.23.20
10 Tracks That Slap

The start of 2020 brings us exciting new music and a new “10 Tracks That Slap.” We brought back the series to share new music that you should keep on your radar. From Sacramento, CA to Croydon, UK, make sure to check out this carefully crafted list. 

Mick Jenkins – Carefree

“Carefree” was the first single off of Mick Jenkins’ recently released project, “The Circus.” The video features beautiful cinematography and a still-motion style editing that is unique. Mick flows endlessly about wanting to be left alone and craft his place in society. 

Gritty Lex – Lonely Road

Sacramento-based artist Gritty Lex dropped a new single called “Lonely Road.” The slow, hypnotic beat creates a perfect soundtrack to Lex’s gentle singing.

Medhane – Dolomeals

Medhane switches it up from his typical foggy, laid-back flow. The rapid thought-provoking song only lasts for one minute and 15 seconds but it packs a strong punch. 

IDK – Hello Freestyle (Pt. 4)

IDK drops a freestyle following the release of his album “Is He Real” last September. Produced by fellow Maryland native JPEGMAFIA, the production is muffled and distorted juxtaposing IDK’s highly articulate and aggressive delivery.

Mac Miller – Good News

Mac Miller’s family has released the first single for his final album, “Circles.” The posthumously released single is pained and reflective; the instrumental is simple and beautiful. Mac discusses wanting to find solace in the finer things in life.

GRISELDA – DR BIRDS

Westside Gunn, Conway and Benny the Butcher have assembled to create an Avengers of rap. The braggadocious, confident bars from the trio create a head-bobbing atmosphere that’s guaranteed to make your neck hurt from nodding so much. 

Flee ft. Brent Faiyaz – Swish/Use 2

If you ever wanted to know what it would sound like if Brent Faiyaz and Flee hopped on a StoopidXool beat, this song is for you.

Nez ft. ScHoolboy Q – Wild Youngster 

Chicago-based producers Nez and Rio step into the spotlight with their rapping debut over an abstract beat. Oh yeah, it features ScHoolboy Q too. 

Stormzy – Still Disappointed 

Stormzy steps away from breaking records for a Wiley-targeted diss song.

HULA – Yaas

HULA, aka Bktherula and Hook, drop their first single as a duo for their song “Yaas.” The song is a simple, chaotic banger. Digital Nas’s formulaic production works well as HULA spits lines referencing scamming men to Dr. Suess’s children’s book “Green Eggs and Ham.”