5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

10.08.19

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

Is New Music On The Way From Frank Ocean?

In a cover story for W Magazine, Frank talks about how he is planning to drop some new fire. He mentions his new music is influenced by “Detroit, Chicago, techno, house, French electronic." We don’t have a date yet, but at least we know the man’s working!

NHL x Green Day Collab!

The NHL recently announced it is entering into a two-year cross-platform marketing and pub deal with five-time Grammy winners from The Bay, Green Day. To celebrate, the group released a snippet of their unreleased single “Fire, Ready, Aim”. Also, the band is set to take the stage at the 2020 Honda NHL All-Star Game.

Scooter Braun Making Big Moves

Scooter Braun, artist manager to Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber, just announced a new partnership between his Ithaca Holdings company and independent music marketing company, label and publisher, 740 Project. 740 Project’s roster of clients includes Migos, Lil Baby, H.E.R., Lil Uzi Vert, Young Thug, Bryson Tiller and Trippie Redd.

Kanye Only Making Gospel Music From Now On

So our controversial fave, Kanye, has been teasing us with his upcoming album release, "Jesus Is King." The project's supposed gospel sound is the direction the rapper plans to move in permanently. Also, reportedly, we are going to be able to enjoy an accompanying documentary by Kanye called, “Jesus Is King: A Kanye West Film.”

New Music From Travis Scott

Travis Scott drops some heat! It’s been almost a full year since he dropped his last solo material with the album, "Astroworld." All you Cactus Jack fans DO NOT want to miss his latest single drop “Highest in the Room.”