5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

02.17.20

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

TIK TOK GETS 104.7M MORE DOWNLOADS IN JANUARY

Tik Tok was downloaded 104.7 million times in January 2020. This is a 46% increase from January 2019. Tik Tok now has surpassed 1.5 billion downloads worldwide on Google Play and the Apple App Store.

QUEEN RADIO IS BACK!

Nicki Minaj is back with "Queen Radio" on Beats 1. She also dropped a new single by the name of “Yikes.” On the show, Nicki called reggaeton singer Karol G and they talked about fiances and marriage, as well as their new collab track “Tusa.”

BRUNO MARS FOR DISNEY

Bruno Mars struck a deal with Disney for a movie that he'll produce and star. The contract is reportedly worth $75 million dollars, so we will wait and see what comes out of this partnership.

FUNERAL AT NO. 1

Lil Wayne is back with some heat! He has already topped the charts with his latest album release "Funeral." We are proud to see the living legend back in the mix and CONGRATS to Wayne for getting a fifth album to No. 1.

WARNER MUSIC REGISTERS TO GO PUBLIC

In 2011 Warner Music Group was bought by billionaire Leonard Blavatnik for $3.3 billion. The company has grown steadily since his acquisition. Last week, Warner Music Group announced that it filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange for a proposed initial public offering of its common stock. This means that the general public will be able to buy stocks from the company once it is listed on a stock exchange.