5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

03.16.20

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

TEKASHI 69 IS GETTING OUT OF PRISON SOON

Controversial rapper Tekashi 69 will be released from prison on August 2nd, 2020. Originally, he was sentenced to 37 years to life but his sentence was shortened to just two years with five years of probation. While incarcerated, Tekashi signed a record deal with 10k Projects. Along with this opportunity, Rolling Stone and Showtime announced an upcoming three-part documentary about the rapper called "Supervillain."

DRAKE’S SHOES ARE WAY TOO EXPENSIVE

Drake’s OVO x Air Jordan “God’s Plan” shoe collab just dropped and is considered one of the most exclusive and rare shoe finds in the game. The Air Jordans are currently being sold at Fight Club, and get this — they cost $25,000! Really, Drake?

COACHELLA RESCHEDULED DUE TO CORONAVIRUS

When coronavirus initially began to spread, there was speculation of Coachella being postponed. Well, here we are, the time has come and it is official. Coachella has been rescheduled for October 9-11 and October 16-18  due to coronavirus concerns. All tickets will be honored, but it's unclear at this time if the line-up for the show will be different.

AEG x LIVE NATION AGREE ON PAUSING ALL TOURS

Though AEG and Live Nation are considered rivals in the entertainment industry, they have recently come together to spread awareness around safe practices for the concert-going masses. On March 12th, Live Nation officials told employees that they were canceling arena tours until further notice. This was co-signed by a global group of concert leaders, including AEG.

WILLOW SMITH WILL TRAP HERSELF IN A BOX FOR 24 HOURS AS ART

Willow Smith will turn her pain and anxiety into art by trapping herself in a box for 24 hours. This will take place at an event at the Museum of Contemporary Art in LA. With help from her collaborator Tyler Cole, she will spend three hours in the eight stages of anxiety. In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Willow shared that “this isn't for giggles or for show, it’s for awareness.”