5 Things You Missed in Music Business News

08.19.19

Oakland, CAThings are constantly changing in the music industry and it’s important to stay on top of trends and news updates, especially as an independent artist. We’ve got you covered with a weekly recap of the top stories you need to know.

SoundExchange Creates Website To Help Podcasters License Featured Music

SoundExchange is collabing with PodcastMusic.com to develop a quick and easy shopping experience for podcasters. The project will launch next year and will provide licensing for publisher-owned as well as label-owned music. They will also provide global licensing to feature music in a podcast including: performance, synchronization, mechanical rights and master use.

De La Soul Battling And Boycotting Ex Label Tommy Boy Over Their Catalog And Royalties

Legendary hip-hop group De La Soul are battling with their ex-label over unpaid royalties and more. They’ve been unable to reach a compromise which is why a chunk of the group's catalog isn’t available on many streaming platforms. The group stated the following in a social media post: "We’ve been unable to reach an agreement and earn Tommy Boy’s respect for our music/legacy." They’ve urged their fans to boycott their music on streaming platforms since everyone involved EXCEPT for them will benefit and receive profit from the streams.

Cardi B, Master P, French Montana and More Sued Over  DJ JMK “Choppa Style” Sample

Producer DJ JMK is suing Cardi B, City Girls and French Montana for copyright infringement over “Choppa Style.” The song was sampled in Cardi B and City Girls' “Twerk,” as well as Yo Gotti and French Montana’s  “Oh Yeah." Kirk Edwards aka DJ JMK is looking to collect a couple of bags from the artists who illegally sampled his track.

Drake Brings In 9th #1 Album With “Care Package”

Drake’s newest project entitled “Care Package” recently debuted at #1 on Billboard’s Top 200 chart. That makes it his ninth #1 studio album! “Care Package” is also the first #1 album off Drake’s new label, OVO Sound.

Apple Music Reveals New Tool For Artist Managers That Provides Detailed Streaming Data

Apple unveiled a free tool for artist managers that provides detailed information about artists' streaming data and guess what?...it’s free! Apple Music for Artists, which debuted on Apple Music, provides daily data on who’s listening, what they’re listening to, where they’re listening from and more. Apple literally thought of everything...it even includes artists' Shazam data! Apple also stated that they’ve been working on this project for years in order to get it right, accepting and requesting feedback from multiple artists.