Review: ‘Anything’s Possible’ In This Trans Coming-of-Age Story

The film shows how to embrace who you are and not look for celebratory responses for doing things that aren’t ideal in society.

08.11.22
Review: ‘Anything’s Possible’ In This Trans Coming-of-Age Story (Dia Dipasupil via Getty Images)

Alabama; TroyPrime Video’s “Anything’s Possible” follows transgender teen Kelsa (Eva Reign) as she navigates life and love while living in Pittsburg, and who is being raised by her single mom.

While Kelsa figures out how to be comfortable with her new lifestyle, she has her best friends Chris (Kelly Lamor Wilson) and Em (Courtnee Carter) supporting her  — physically and fashionably. 

Kelsa has a passion for nature and enjoys comparing herself and others to animals. She believes every animal and every person has their own survival mechanism. As she begins her senior year of high school at River Point High School —  she learns that she is indeed correct. 

https://youtu.be/20WlagB4vFU

She has her ducks in a row for life after high school —  becoming a nature photographer. She is still trying to adjust to her new lifestyle of being trans and she wants to date, but she is afraid people will pretend to like her instead of accepting her. 

Everything is going well for Kelsa until she meets this “nice straight guy” in her art class named Khal (Abubakr Ali) who develops feelings for her. Khal likes her too but he is confused about the next steps in voicing his feelings because he is worried about what others would say - like his parents who want him to be this perfect straight “A” student who attends a four-year university. 

Kelsa and Khal’s newfound fling turns into a forbidden love affair because unfortunately, Kelsa’s best friend Em has a crush on Khal. Instead of dwelling on the drama between the three of them when Khal shows up at school with flowers for Kelsa instead of Em, Kelsa and Khal take a new approach that is not always exemplified in today’s world. The two decide to do what makes them happy and make it public that they’re dating in front of the entire school. 

My favorite part of the film was learning how to embrace who you are and not look for celebratory responses for doing things that aren’t ideal in society, for example, being open about being trans. 

“Anything’s Possible” is streaming on Prime Video.