Looking Back: Art at FEELS 6 That Made Us Feel Alive

10.05.18
Looking Back: Art at FEELS 6 That Made Us Feel Alive (Photo by All Day Play)

FEELS is an annual art exhibition and music festival put on by the Oakland based publication Wine & Bowties. This year, FEELS comes back for its sixth year at the Craneway Pavilion in Richmond. While DJ sets and musical performers filled the ears of festival goers, there was an array of visual art lining the floor of the festival that kept everyone’s eyes engaged. Ranging from fashion pieces to sculptures, photography, paintings, videography, and everything in between. The art at FEELS didn’t allow for one dull moment throughout the night. Check out some of our favorites below if you missed the inspiring night.

Rewina Beshue 
Photo by All Day Play

Rewina Beshue’s BENDING TIME was a true highlight out of all the incredible visual art at FEELS 6. Her immersive piece captivated festival-goers, transporting them into their own wonderland of time and space. Her painting was was the type of piece that you could stare at for minutes on end, mesmerized. You could find something new every time you came back to it. Inspired by Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, BENDING TIME told a story about staying true to our own internal clock; “We don’t exist in time, time exists for us.” With these words and visuals in mind, Beshue inspires to exist in our own time and space within the world.

Flatspot & Muzae
Photo by All Day Play

Flatspot and Muzae’s video installation captured the artistic expression and emotion that FEELS is known for. The collaborative piece made you question and made you look. It was really dope to see the artist Muzae actually paint through the projected video with graphics reacting to the imagery. It was a visual representation of the complex and distinct feelings we all experience in our body and minds. By using the sensation of colors, Flatspot and Muzae’s piece was moving and engaging, a stunning visual piece that we could get lost in.

Amelian Kashiro
Photo by All Day Play

Amelian Kashiro’s passion for styling and visual art is ever present in her #whoopitaughtme collection of paintings. Inspired by Whoopi Goldberg’s fearless and unique sense of fashion, Kashiro wanted to share the way in which people express themselves through their shoes and hosiery. From brightly colored high heels to Nike Cortez's, Kashiro’s paintings framed the personalities that come through in overlooked fashion pieces such as footwear.

House of Malico
Photo by All Day Play

This art piece was a favorite. House of Malico’s piece had many meaningful quotes with colorful paper in wallpaper like fashion. Not just for me but for everyone at Feels. Lots of people took many photos in front of this piece because it was so colorful and interactive. This was a captivating art piece for sure.