‘Baddies’ Be Crazy!

The popular and controversial series ‘Baddies’ draws a lot of attention. But is it for the right reason? Viewers criticize the viral phenomenon’s integrity to Black culture.

12.28.23
‘Baddies’ Be Crazy! ((L-R) Rollie Pollie, DJ Sky, Cat Washington, RaZor, Chrisean Rock, Natalie Nunn, Scotty, Biggie and Loren Lo London. | Robin L Marshall via Getty Images)

Do you “stand on business”?

Is your only competition yourself?

Do you light up a room when you enter?

If so, then you’re a baddie and could definitely hold your own with Zeus Network’s “Baddies,” a spinoff of “Bad Girls Club” The viral series documents influential women touring around the country together; building bonds, furiously fighting and “getting to the bag.” The influential ladies test their musical performance skills and patience with one another. “Bad Girls Club” alum and business owner, Natalie Nunn executive produced the first season in 2021.The spinoff is currently airing its fourth season, “Baddies East” features reality TV alum alongside continuous, staple cast members such as Natalie Nunn, Chrisean Rock, Rollie Pollie and Scotland Ryan, and is a fan favorite. The show has gained a high amount of traction on social media. Trending weekly is no problem for the Baddies.

Bad Girls Club”, which aired on Oxygen from 2006 to 2017 and BGC carved a lane in reality TV that inspired many imitations. The party-oriented boot camp for young, rebellious women showed them living lavishly together with chaos to ensue. The different personalities amongst the cast for these shows make for explosive moments and memorable memes.

Whether it was the relatability of the cast or their heated arguments, it’s universally controversial and engaging. Some would argue that “Baddies” misrepresent the Black community and urban culture.  “Baddies” features a predominantly Black cast in comparison to BGC, which hosted racially diverse casts amongst seasons.

With this being said, don’t let the Baddie bedlam blind you to the messages of self-love and motivation throughout. Think about last season when Stunna Girl was a one-man army against the whole house.  Or how we all could use some of Biggie’s confidence. If you can’t handle a little Baddie Beef then it’s your loss. So are you a Boss like Natalie Nunn? Do you wear your heart on your sleeve like Chrisean Rock? Or are you the life of the party, like “Scotty With The Body”?

Regardless, sometimes it’s good to be bad.

Kardarious Brown, (he/him) is an Alabama native who covers entertainment, lifestyle and culture. Follow him on Instagram @_kardarious and Facebook @ Kardarious Brown.