‘The Bear’ Season 3: Chaos in the Kitchen

07.19.24
‘The Bear’ Season 3: Chaos in the Kitchen (Ayo Edebiri (Sydney Adamu) | Courtesy of FX)

Get your knives out and your hands ready, because the third season of “The Bear” is on deck. This Emmy award-winning and 16-time Emmy-nominated show has taken the hearts and stomachs of Gen Z by force with its witty dialogue, fast pace and delicious dishes. This season begins with dealing after the opening of Carmy’s restaurant, “The Bear”, where he effectively broke every relationship he had after being locked in the walk-in freezer. 

The actors here are all perfect. Everyone is amazing with standouts being Ayo Edebiri as Sydney, the sous chef of “The Bear” trying to hold everyone together, Jeremy Allen White as Carmen (or Carmy), the head chef, who is fighting an internal struggle between his legacy and what he truly wants in his life, and Ebon Moss Bachrach as Richie, the hilarious and side-splitting loud mouth cousin who loves Carmy, but equally loves to make his life hell. 

While the show is very basic with its plot, the story of a man and his goal to create a famous restaurant, writer and director Christopher Storer has very creative ways to frame and film each episode. The first episode of this season shows a nonlinear timeline, showing the difference between Carmy’s past and his present in dealing with the shattered relationships. What is amazing about this was the minimal dialogue in the episode where you can see every visual serve a purpose and use the dialogue as more of a garnish rather than the main course. 

The second episode though, was the complete opposite where it felt like a stage play with the whole episode taking place in a solitary kitchen with characters moving in and out of the set and having the rapid-fire dialogue that this show is known for. 

This is a season dealing with stagnation, not just the stagnation of the plot, but also the stagnation of the protagonist Carmy, he has everything he wanted but still feels empty. While the season may feel like filler at some points, it is important to state that perhaps that is what the show wants you to feel, stagnant like Carmy, having it all yet feeling empty. 

Finally, one of the stand-out episodes is “Napkins,” which is directed by Ayo Edebiri, which deals with the struggles of finding a job after being let go from one after so long 

5 out of 5 Beef Sandwiches. Do not watch this show on an empty stomach.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzine.