Blake Lively Brings ‘It Ends With Us’ Novel to Life

The romance novel by Colleen Hoover comes to life on the big screen.

08.12.24
Blake Lively Brings ‘It Ends With Us’ Novel to Life (Getty Images)

In my experience, romance movies are rarely easy to watch. Many of them have the power to shatter hearts countless times within the span of two hours, leaving no mercy from the gut-wrenching endings. 

However, I have no regrets after watching the newly released “It Ends With Us” movie, based on the novel by Colleen Hoover.

Colleen Hoover is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels and novellas, ranging from contemporary romance to psychological thrillers. In 2016, Hoover released the “It Ends With Us” novel, which has become, arguably, her most powerful written work. 

In Hoover’s 376-page book Lily Bloom is on a journey to be a florist while navigating a family loss and opening her heart to love. Though this journey is not so straightforward, Bloom’s path has several obstacles, such as facing domestic violence and reuniting with a special childhood friend.
Ever since the storyline landed in the hands of passionate readers, the novel has become Hoover’s top-selling book and currently earned the spot as No. 1 on the New York TimeS paperback list. Throughout the years, the novel has gained immense traction on TikTok and sold millions of copies.

It is safe to say fans were ecstatic when it was announced that “It Ends With Us” is set to be adapted for the big screen. Starring Blake Lively, the novel transforms into a captivating film  telling the bittersweet story of Lily Bloom. The movie does an outstanding job of synchronizing the magnitude of the novel, with minimal shifts in detail.

Given how emotionally intense romance films can be, this one is for the books (literally). “It Ends With Us” gorgeously teaches the lesson of letting go even when the unknown can be terrifying. After all, the outcome of courageousness can be more beautiful than ever imagined. 

“It Ends With Us” is out now exclusively in theaters – bringing a box of tissues is not such a bad idea.

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.