‘Blue Beetle’: A Hero for Latinos

Órale … we finally got one.

08.17.23
‘Blue Beetle’: A Hero for Latinos (Xolo Maridueña | Greg Doherty/WireImage via Getty Images)

Mission; TexasAfter the success of “Black Panther,” I always wondered when Latinos like me would get our own mainstream hero and representation. 

Thankfully, we got it!

DC Studio’s “Blue Beetle” will finally give us a Latino superhero that we can all look up to. This character is Jaime Reyes, a fresh college graduate who returns to his family's home in Palmera City to try to figure out his life before being imbued with the powers of a technological scarab that fuses with his body. Jaime is now a superhero, whether he likes it or not. Now, with his family in the crosshairs of an evil CEO that wants the power of the scarab all to herself, Jaime and his family must fight against all odds to save both their world, and their family. 

Jaime, played by Xolo Maridueña from “Cobra Kai,” is an excellent character, who to me, fits the perfect box of how a hero can be. This is a character that while they had their life planned out, didn’t know what to do next. Many times during the creation of characters, they are either forced into stereotypes or type A style perfectionists that must show excellence with every step. As a college graduate that had no idea on what to do after, I love this character and how they are not only fighting for their family, but also for the future they believe in. 

My only nitpick with the film is not with the actors, but due to the fact that the movie may not be canon to the new DC cinematic universe. Originally, the film was going to be a Max streaming exclusive, but soon became theatrical, avoiding the fate of the tragically canceled “Batgirl” film. Due to the film being written and made before the changing of the guard for DC, many are wondering if Jaime will make the jump to the next universe, which thankfully, James Gunn said he will

“Blue Beetle” flies into theaters Friday. 

Guillermo Guzman (he/him/they) is a Texas based nerd who loves talking about video games, autism, and entertainment. Follow him on Instagram: @boofy_booferson and Twitter: @Dimpy_Tenders.