‘BMF’ is Back With More Focus on the ATL

The cast shares thoughts about the third season and the new celebrity cameos.

03.01.24
‘BMF’ is Back With More Focus on the ATL (Courtesy of STARZ)

BaltimoreEntertainment mogul 50 Cent’s hit show “BMF,” Black Mafia Family, on Starz shows its third season take a shift as Meech (Demetrius Flenory Jr.) heads to Atlanta to expand their empire and Terry (Da’Vinchi) holds down the empire and asserts dominance as the lead in Detroit during the 90s. The split between the brothers comes with a lot of drama and chaos. The new exploration of Atlanta causes relationships to be built. But due to a lack of trust and loyalty, the relationships are ruined as quickly as they were built. 

As Meech and Terry leave their childhood home, their little sister Nicole, who has seen it all but stays to herself, has a chance to experience a few coming-of-age moments. Nicole (Laila D. Pruitt) is not the little girl we saw in the first season. She is now a teenager. Pruitt shared her experience of having Nicole’s character mature and how her growing up has also helped her develop and understand her character. 

The actors from the hit show talked about the new season.

“Me and Nicole are both the youngest sibling and the youngest sister in our families. And I think I booked the role when I was 16. And so being able to grow up and go through, honestly a lot of the same sort of growing pains alongside Nicole was helpful,” Pruitt said.

While Nicole explores, Terry and Meech develop a new dynamic. Since the first episode, the brothers have been by each other's side, despite disagreements and bumping heads. However, this is the first time the brothers split, completely shifting the BMF dynamic. 

Terry has to learn how to take over the empire in Detroit while also carving his path and making his decisions without Meech. He also has to think of his family first, because he now has two little ones. But he keeps running into enemies that put his life at risk. Making Atlants his home, Meech has to navigate the scene and culture while trying to expand the empire and build a trustworthy family.

Flenory Jr. weighed in on how Atlanta plays a character in the show and how Demetrius "Big Meech" Flenory Sr. felt the city could be the key to the ultimate expansion.

“The Atlanta culture has always been important to my father [Big Meech]. And once he found out that Atlanta was the hub of the United States, all the freeways lead to all different parts of the country,” Flenory Jr. said.

Being based in Atlanta some native guest stars had to show out. 2 Chainz joins the cast as the recurring character Stacks, a member of Meech’s new ATL crew. Stacks becomes wary of Meech and his intentions as he steps in as the leader of the group. Viewers are also introduced to Lil Baby as Payne, a member who is eager to learn under Meech and NE-YO as Greeny. Saweetie plays as Keeya, a love interest to Meech.

Those aren't the only new characters to watch out for. Henrietta ‘Henri’ Andrea played by trans actor Ren King is an arrogant, queer, dominant character that takes control of every situation with ease. Her slick mouthpiece and smooth demeanor take you by surprise when you realize the lengths she will go to get what she wants — to be at the top. 

This leads Henri to commit several murders and viewers realize she is a force to be reckoned with.

When Terry reaches out to Henri for help and the two agree on a deal. However, when Terry reneged on his promise Henri ensures there will be hell to pay. Henri is a gender-fluid kingpin and is very comfortable in her sexuality even though during the early 1990s, society was not.  But in Henri’s empire, her father, Blaze (Christopher B. Duncan) is at the top and unwilling to pass his throne due to not being comfortable with Henri’s leadership style.

King shared that being able to portray a queer character is very important to them and added that they always dreamed about having an opportunity like this. 

“I don't take it lightly. I really don't. I hold it to the highest honor to be a vessel, and to be able to tell this story,” King said. “I just pray that I'm doing diligence and I feel that I am, and it just feels very affirming to me, especially as a trans actor.”

If you liked the previous seasons then you are going to love this one. The story truly unfolds as Terry and Meech fight tooth and nail in their version of the American dream. With the falling out with friends, loved ones dying, the constant hassle of looking over their shoulder, their parent's relationship crumbling, and children on the way, the brothers do everything they can to have each other's back. 

Ariyana Griffin is a graduate student at Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland. She is a California native and a graduate of Clark Atlanta University. Follow her on X: @Ariyanaaganee and Instagram: @ari.yana.g.