‘Bridgerton’ Season 3: Another Binge-Worthy Triumph

Dynamic storytelling, combined with character development and plot twists, shows the experiences of those in the community and makes it a must-watch.

05.16.24
‘Bridgerton’ Season 3: Another Binge-Worthy Triumph (Nicola Coughlan as Penelope Featherington | Liam Daniel via Netflix © 2024)

“Bridgerton” is back on Netflix for part one of season three, with Penelope Featherington, played by Nicola Coughlan, taking the lead as the main character.

Last season ended with Penelope being rejected by her long-time crush and her identity as Lady Whisteldown being discovered by her best friend. Her long-time crush, Colin Bridgerton (Luke Newton) said he could never be romantically interested in her, putting her in the friend zone. As far as her best friend, Eloise Bridgerton (Claudia Jessie), she finds out Penelope is Lady Whistledown, who disgraced her and her love-interest Theo in season two. With her conflicting relationship with her family and these fallouts, Penelope is left isolated from all those that she loves. 

Season three delivers another captivating look into the lives of The Ton (the high society of London during the Regency era), filled with drama, the continued quest for love and status, and, of course, Lady Whistedown’s thoughts, with an unexpected twist in revealing identity.

The central plotline for part one follows Penelope as she navigates her long-time and unreciprocated crush on Colin after deciding to give up on her crush on Colin and taking her fate for marriage into her own hands, romance forms between the two. 

In previous seasons, the Bridgerton writers gave the audience a slow-burn romance between the two central characters amid other love interests. As always, the relationship is steamy and anticipated. 

This season, Eloise forms a new friendship with Cressida Cowper (Jessica Madsen) due to her fallout with Penelope. This friendship allows viewers to explore Cressida’s character and the challenges of being in season and not delivering on marriage, which may cause viewers to feel sympathy for her. 

Among other crushes and relationships formed with different characters in part one, there is continued mystery surrounding Lady Whistledown’s identity, and the Queen’s pursuit adds suspense. This keeps an engaged audience, especially toward the end.

The season ends with a cliffhanger, revealing Lady Whistledown’s identity to the one person Penelope feared most finding out. This sets the stage for the exciting story continuation in part two.

Part One delivers another exquisite and entertaining chapter in the lives of The Ton. Dynamic storytelling, combined with character development and plot twists, shows the experiences of those in the community and makes it a must-watch. 

Tracy Noze is a Seattle-based journalist.