Buddy Shines Light Across America With ‘Superghetto’

Buddy’s sophomore album features Blxst, Ari Lennox and more.

03.25.22
Buddy Shines Light Across America With ‘Superghetto’ (Courtesy of Buddy)

Buddy's sophomore album, “Superghetto” is out now. The 10-track album includes features from Ari Lennox, Tinashe, T-Pain and rising LA talent Blxst. 

The Compton rapper announced the project on Instagram with the album cover of himself with friends and family, with the caption “4 years in the making. Hope you all enjoy it!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZMKhGmc3aY

He released the single, “Wait Too Long,” featuring Blxst in mid-February, signaling that the album was near.

Buddy describes a woman's beauty and attempts to serenade her throughout each verse. The laidback song includes a chorus with smooth vocals from Blxst — who had an electric 2021. The Hollywood Cole-produced track set the stage for Buddy and Blxst to deliver a west coast anthem over synthy chords and brash drums. 

The music video finds Buddy and Blxst partying and engaging in romance, only to deal with the aftermath the following day.

While 2020 started as a quiet year, Buddy released the cult-favorite “Janktape Vol. 1” with Kent Jamz. 

A couple of years prior, he debuted with the album “Harlan & Alondra” in 2018, which included fan favorites “Trouble On Central” and “Trippin’ (feat. Khalid).”  He also frequently collaborated with artists from J. Cole’s well-endowed label Dreamville, Tinashe and the late Nipsey Hussle. 

Buddy first came into the scene signing to Pharrell's I Am Other label at the young age of 15. Since then, he's grown from being a single-genre artist, constantly experimenting and incorporating neo-soul, R&B, jazz and funk influences into his sound. 

“Superghetto” is available everywhere via Cool Lil Company and RCA Records.