Content in partnership with True Star

Can You Bounce Back After Being Canceled?

04.23.24
Can You Bounce Back After Being Canceled? (Getty Images)

Chicago*Trigger Warning: this story contains information about sexual assault. Viewer discretion  is advised

Jonathan Majors, commonly known for his roles in “Creed III” and Marvel’s “Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania”, was recently sentenced to a year-long domestic violence intervention program in addition to continuing therapy for his mental health, according to Yahoo! 

The actor was previously found guilty of assault and harassment against his former partner, Grace Jabbari, resulting in him being removed from all upcoming projects with Marvel Studios and Walt Disney Co., reports The Cut. His career has taken a major shift, making it increasingly difficult for him to land new roles in movies and television.

Questions of whether Majors will be able to bounce back from this situation are circling. It’s similar to Nate Parker’s circumstance from years ago. Parker is an actor, producer, director and screenwriter. He and a friend in college were accused of rape in 1999. Parker was later acquitted while his friend, Jean Celestin, served six months in jail, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Parker’s reputation and presence in the film industry took a hit due to these accusations. He even went as far as telling Robin Roberts, co-anchor on “Good Morning America”, that he was “falsely accused” and was “proven innocent” and refused to apologize, the Hollywood Reporter states. Just days later, “The Birth of a Nation” was scheduled to be put in theaters in 2016. The accuser later committed suicide in 2012 and the issue reawakened in 2016 when the public was made aware of this news. This made it increasingly difficult for Parker to thrive in his work environment as many people looked at him differently due to the allegations.

This case is just another that brings awareness to domestic violence. Similarly, celebrities such as Chris Brown, Trey Songz, O.J. Simpson and more have jeopardized their careers and status after their involvement with domestic violence.

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.