Candace Maxwell: From Background Dancer to the Big Screen

04.01.22
Candace Maxwell: From Background Dancer to the Big Screen (Charley Gallay via Getty Images for Netflix)

ChicagoFrom Madison Square Garden to Tyler Perry Studios sums up Candace Maxwell’s path and it’s proof that no dream is too big — if you want it. 

Known for her roles in “Power,” “All the Queen’s Men” and as Elle in “A Madea Homecoming,” the 29-year-old has shown her range as an actress.

“I was honored to be there, and just ready to do a great job. It was just amazing working alongside Tyler Perry and this Madea franchise he has built,” said Maxwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJXk-RgzoQ

Her character is the cop of the family and is constantly picked on by Uncle Joe for being a police officer.

“I loved playing Elle. Any character I play, I want to make it real. I want to bring justice to the characters I play,” she said.

Maxwell did not start off as a familiar face on the big screen. She began as a background dancer.

“I started off dancing really young. I had a family friend who was an agent and got me into auditioning for commercials,” she said. 

She danced for some of the biggest celebrities in the industry like Diddy, Beyoncé and Lil’ Kim. 

“When I was a Knicks dancer, I remember dancing in front of Beyoncé and Jay-Z, but the crowd just blows you away,” Maxwell said. 

Her original dream was to be a dancer because she wanted to travel the world. 

“That was my first job as a dancer in New York City and it was crazy. I’m just thankful for my journey as a dancer,” said Maxwell

Maxwell is a proud first generation Carribean-American and her parents were born in Jamaica, in Trinidad and Tobago. 

“When I got to visit with my mom, some people don’t have running water. Sometimes it’s hard. But, for the people back home, I want them to keep their integrity in their heart and to cease every opportunity,” she said. 

With each opportunity, sometimes a work-life balance gets put on a back burner when you're making a name for yourself on television. Maxwell shared that along with her work on Netflix and Bet+, she’s constantly carving out time for self care. 

“Some days I get up and dance. Some days I make breakfast, but some days I get up and get straight to work. Sometimes it’s just about listening to your bodies and finding out what works for you,” she said.

Maxwell gave us a hint that a second season of “All The Queen’s Men” could be dropping in the near future on BET+.