The Real Reason to Celebrate Christmas

Many people have lost sight of the holiday's original appeal: the shared sense of happiness among loved ones and neighbors.

12.22.22
The Real Reason to Celebrate Christmas (Courtesy of Markel Collins)

Las Vegas, NVThe significance of Christmas has evolved over time for many people. In actuality, it does for everyone of us because as we mature, our perspectives on the holiday shift.

The once-glamourous perception of Christmas that would engulf the nation each year has not existed in recent decades. A lot of individuals think of it as a commercial holiday that eventually makes certain people feel inferior to others.

This dark side does exist and it is easy for people to get caught up in the capitalistic competition that Christmas creates between people.

As the truth about Christmas's darker sides has become more transparent, many people have lost sight of the holiday's original appeal: the shared sense of happiness among loved ones and neighbors.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that not everyone has the family aspect to fall back on, but I do believe that everyone has a community willing to help and protect them even if they don’t necessarily recognize it.

I realized a long time ago that I am one of the lucky ones who does have a strong family backing which is why I can never look at Christmas in a completely dark light. 

Every year my family and I have a Christmas Eve pajama party/sleepover. This is a tradition that has gone on in my family since I was a young kid and it is something that I look forward to each and every year. 

This is a night that is filled with laughs, games and gumbo … that’s right, I said gumbo. I have had a lot of different gumbo’s in my life and I’m willing to argue with almost anyone that my grandmother’s is better than yours.

After a long night of partying and fun we are awakened by the sweet sounds of the Temptations “Silent Night.” We then open gifts and proceed to eat leftover gumbo and afterwards, everyone goes on about their day. 

It is traditions like the one that me and my family share that remind me what Christmas is truly about. Many think about the giving of gifts but I think about the love and joy that you can give to the people around you that love you the most.