‘Cobra Kai V’ Is Pure Bombastic Fun

09.12.22
‘Cobra Kai V’ Is Pure Bombastic Fun (Allen Berezovsky via FilmMagic)

I am in pure and utter shock. Pat Morita is a dream to watch in this drama-filled, addictive and striking show. Would it win any big prestige awards? No, but it doesn’t need to.

Season 5 of “Cobra Kai” is one of the most fun rides that I have been on through a streaming service. The story takes place after the emotional ending of the last season with Cobra Kai taking over the Valley with Daniel and Johnny having to close up their respective dojos. Terry Silver reigns supreme and Miguel is in Mexico. Now, new alliances are formed as rivalries must be squashed for the united front to defeat Cobra Kai. 

“Cobra Kai” is a show that loves its cameos and returning characters, and this season is no exception with Chozen, Daniel’s returning rival from “The Karate Kid Part II.” This character adds a more comedic yet urgent tone to the series. He is a very matter of fact character with him playing the goofy yet straight man role. 

“The Karate Kid Part III” alum Terry Silver joins this season and commands the screen with a calm and collected presence of a more Machiavellian type style — pulling strings behind the scenes rather than the coked out psycho from his film debut. Silver’s role has become larger in this series. While some called the 3rd part of the original film trilogy the weakest, Silver shows why he was the reason the film was memorable while personifying massive “final boss” energy. 

This season is an epic follow up and while I cannot say much, the stakes have been raised with a season finale that had me out of my seat, punching the air in joy, and had my hands sweaty from wanting to see what happens next.