Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Tuning in to Students’ Headphones: A Fashion Trend and College Essential

Here’s how students have harmonized their love for music, fashion and self-expression.

11.24.23
Tuning in to Students’ Headphones: A Fashion Trend and College Essential (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Brianna Ly

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

Whether it’s to concentrate on assignments, liven up their walks to class or just enjoy a new release, students are always listening to music, and NYU students are no different. Now that over-the-ear headphones have become trendy, it’s hard to walk around campus and not spot at least a dozen people wearing them. 

Headphones are no longer just a staple for jamming out between classes — they have become a fashion statement. Like funky earrings or colorful bags, headphones give students another opportunity to show off their personal style. With decorations like stickers, gems and ribbons, students are personalizing their headphones like they would their playlists.

When CAS junior Aurora Anderson got bored of her all-black Beats Solo Wireless headphones, she decided to add vinyl designs to her pair. Anytime Anderson isn’t in class, she is wearing her headphones, listening to System of a Down or Sum 41. The punky red-and-white design, handmade with vinyl paints by her dad as a Christmas present, not only gives her headphones some extra pizazz and personality, but also reminds her of her family, bringing her a sense of calm in the bustling city.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.