Review: ‘Despicable Me 4’ Not Bad … at all

07.09.24
Review: ‘Despicable Me 4’ Not Bad … at all (Courtesy of Universal)

Gru and the gang have returned, and he got busy!

In the latest installment of the “Despicable Me” franchise, retired supervillain Gru (Steve Carell), now working for the Anti Villains League (AVL), must go into witness protection to save his family and those he holds dear from cockroach villain Maxime Le Mal (Will Ferrell). 

This film is an excellent way to blow off some steam and watch something fun and breezy so that one can laugh at the excellent slapstick that the minions have perfected in their decade-plus conquest of the silver screen. This film’s specialty was turning the minions into “megaminions” by giving them powers such as rocky skin, stretchy appendages, laser vision, and more. Gru’s story is also full of drama, as he must navigate being a father to not only the three triplets he has adopted but also to his biological son, Gru Jr. Maxime Le Mal escaped, and now, the family must go into hiding, where hijinks ensue and many shenanigans are made. While both A and B plots are full of comedic moments, it is the minions who overshadow the comedy that Gru and the family bring to the table. 

While all the actors bring their A-game, kudos have to be given to the unsung hero of the “Despicable Me” franchise, Pierre Coffin. This man not only directed the previous three films but is also the voice of all the minions. Coffin has even redubbed the lines to appeal to different countries of the world. 

The film may have some scenes that may go in circles, the movie keeps a breezy pace and has some laugh-out-loud moments. Kids of all ages, including kids at heart, will love this film. 

3.5 minions out of 5.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzapps.