Don’t Sleep on ‘Dune: Part Two’

03.08.24
Don’t Sleep on ‘Dune: Part Two’

ChicagoThe sci-fi epic is back, and if you’re not in a theater right now, watching it, then you’re missing out!

Directed by Denis Villeneuve, and starring Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Austin Butler, Rebecca Furguson, and Florence Pugh, with even a secret role from Anya Taylor-Joy, “Dune: Part Two” picks up with Paul Atredies stranded on the desert planet of Dune. After the rival royal family, The Harkonnens, killed his father and destroyed his home, he must become part of The Fremen desert people, or die himself.

The movie’s already made around $200 million world-wide, earning the same amount as the summer blockbuster “Oppenheimer” in its opening weekend, which has now made almost $1 billion world-wide. People are flocking to the theaters to see this movie, and for good reason.

This movie is an adaptation of the second half of “Dune,” written by Frank Herbert. The first “Dune” movie is very faithful to the first half of the book, while this one takes a few more creative liberties. Director Villeneuve stated in a piece with Entertainment Weekly, “When you adapt, there’s always some kind of violence toward the original material. You have to change things, you have to bend, you have to make painful choices.”