Curing Loneliness With Travel Tours

Young people are filling social voids by traveling with strangers.

06.05.24
Curing Loneliness With Travel Tours (Getty Images)

In the post-lockdown era, young individuals are seeking increased human interaction, leading to a surge in small-group travel, according to Business Insider

Despite the hyper-connectivity facilitated by modern technology and social media, many Millennials and Gen Z feel a pervasive sense of loneliness. While new apps and local community initiatives aim to address “social distance” some young people are opting to embark on vacations with strangers in search of genuine face-to-face connections.

Companies like Intrepid Travel, offering small-group experiences in over 100 countries, including destinations like Morocco and Sri Lanka, have noted a growing interest among young travelers in these group tours.

Matt Berna, President of the Americas for Intrepid Travel, highlights that young individuals prioritize travel over traditional milestones like homeownership. These small-group experiences are curated to provide intimate and authentic encounters, with an average group size of 10 people.

Berna emphasizes that these experiences foster tight-knit camaraderie, which has become increasingly valued by young travelers post-COVID-19.

Intrepid Travel’s offerings cater specifically to 18 to 29-year-olds, with activities designed to provide ample free time for individual exploration and more dynamic outings.

Additionally, there’s been a shift in travel preferences among older millennials and younger Gen X, who seek immersive and off-the-beaten-path adventures. This aligns with the overarching trend of prioritizing experiences over material possessions. Companies like Airbnb have also observed a rise in interest in immersive encounters, reflecting a broader trend toward experiential travel.

While older generations often base vacation plans on popular tourist destinations, younger travelers are more inclined to choose experiences tailored to their interests, such as cycling tours in Vietnam or culinary adventures.

Recognizing this shift in preferences, Intrepid Travel has expanded its age range for young adult trips to accommodate travelers up to 35, based on extensive consumer research.

Popular destinations among young travelers include South America, particularly Peru, which has seen increased interest following a period of political unrest. South Korea has also emerged as a top choice due to its affordability compared to Japan.

There’s a renewed desire among travelers, especially young ones, to reconnect with the world and forge meaningful connections, both with fellow travelers and the destinations they visit.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Corona, CA who covers culture and entertainment.