Grand Theft Auto VI Officially Announced

A confirmed leak prompted Rockstar Games to release their first trailer early.

12.05.23

California; HaywardRockstar Games announced a few weeks ago that a new installment in the Grand Theft Auto video game franchise was coming and that the first trailer would be dropping in December.

While the developers had planned to release the first trailer on Dec. 5, the trailer leaked the day before and the New York City-based company decided to release the trailer on their official YouTube channel.

The new installment, titled “Grand Theft Auto VI”, is set for a 2025 release. The trailer features a modern take on a fictional city named “Vice City,” inspired by the state of Florida. The protagonists of the new game are Jason and Lucia. GTA VI will be the first game in the series to feature a female protagonist. The game has been heavily anticipated for years and the wait is finally over for fans of the GTA series. The last installment in the GTA lineup, Grand Theft Auto V, was released in September 2013.

Fans on social media are excited to know that GTA VI has finally been revealed. Some are feeling impatient after seeing the scheduled release year.

Grand Theft Auto V currently holds the record for highest-grossing entertainment media at over $6 billion earned. The current budget estimate for the next game is set to be over $1 billion, according to Hypebeast.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.