‘Harlem’ Season 2 Delivers In Every Area

This season had great moments; however, some storylines felt longer than needed, while others needed more attention.

02.03.23
‘Harlem’ Season 2 Delivers In Every Area (Meagan Good (Camille), Shoniqua Shandai (Angie), Grace Byers (Quinn), Jerrie Johnson (Tye) | Emily V Aragones via Prime Video)

SeattlePrime Video's season two of "Harlem" brings back the four best friends navigating life with even more drama, growth and brunches. 

The women are figuring their lives out, experiencing the highs and lows, but most importantly, sticking together and supporting each other while they do it. 

The new season immediately starts from where season one ended, where Camille (Meagan Good) and Ian (Tyler Lepley) confess their feelings for each other and share a kiss that ends Ian's wedding plans with Mira. Throughout the season, Camille rebuilds her relationship with Ian, questions motherhood, works out the mechanics of her career and explores where she is and if she's moving in the right direction. 

https://youtu.be/0h-3tOitLy8

Season Two brought to light various social issues that affect Black women and got candid looking at the experiences of Quinn (Grace Byers) and Tye (Jerrie Johnson). While exploring her sexuality, Quinn continues failing in the dating category, leading to depression. The audience sees her struggling silently but finally reaching out to friends for help. 

With Tye, we get to see what it looks like never to be given any possible solutions that will end her health issues, but the relief when new possibilities are presented to her after consulting a Black gynecologist. 

As for Angie (Shoniqua Shandai), she goes from sleeping on Quinn's couch because she doesn't want to work to landing a lead role and her career taking off. Her love life is full of surprises as well, and she is in her luckiest year in many aspects. 

"Harlem" continues to be funny. The show displays this with Angie experiencing her real-life version of "Get Out." There's also a comment about Camille and Dr. Pruitt being Rachel Dolezal'd by Nora. 

This season had great moments; however, some storylines felt longer than needed, while others needed more attention. Tye's divorce is an example of this, while the girl's vacation was short, and the character placements felt random. 

Highlights from this season include Quinn rekindling with an ex-boyfriend (played by Byer's real-life husband, Trai Byers), Camille cozying up with an ex-boyfriend, Tye trying something new while still being caught in some triangle, and Angie's romantic life flourishing. 

The biggest surprise happens at the end of the season, leaving you ready for season three.