Warming Up With Hygge: The Act of Cozy Living

Make this fall and winter cozier by incorporating hygge into the season.

11.25.23
Warming Up With Hygge: The Act of Cozy Living (Stella Rose via Unsplash)

CaliforniaImagine it’s raining outside and you're on your couch, in a warm blanket, eating soup, watching a good show. This cozy vibe is exactly what the Danish love. They even have a word for it, hygge. According to Merriam Webster hygge (pronounced hyoo-guh)  means, “invoking or fostering a sense of coziness, contentment, and well-being.” 

Hygge goes beyond the Netherlands and Danish culture, it has gained attention on social media and in articles, here’s one from The New Yorker. Hygge is prevalent year-round but emphasized in the colder months, and since fall is fast approaching we should all incorporate a bit of hygge into our lives. But how exactly can we? Here’s a video showing how this person does.

@cafeappliances Cozy and comfortable is all we wanna be 🤗 w/ @413home #hygge #slowliving #cozyathome #homedecor #routine #dayinmylife #cafeappliances ♬ S31 - Samuel Ifeanyi

This creator clearly loves things that are physically cozy, candles, blankets and slippers, but hygge is also emotionally comforting things which is seen in the video with time spent with loved ones and eating good food as one of the ways to incorporate hygge into day to day life. Family and friends are one of the key components of this way of life. 

Hygge is universal; it's a lifestyle that you can often see in action. Hygge is found in everything the Danish do, from household decor, color schemes, textiles, fabric types, fireplaces, etc. Hygge is savoring the important things in life that can be extraordinarily simple. For example, maybe you’re drinking some warm hot chocolate, while being present, and enjoying the moment, this is the epitome of hygge. It's all about creating a warm, comfy, cozy atmosphere, and that can mean different things to different people. Reading books, wearing blankets, having fun, sharing stories, or playing games are all things you can do to get your hygge on this fall and winter.

@theresaelaineee 📖🧸🫶🏻🕯️ #calm #cozy #aesthetic #foryou #hygge #fordig #fördig #slowliving #pinterest #reading #readwithme #bookworm #relax #relaxing ♬ Boyhood - Birth Day

Hygge is not tangible rather it is felt and is a way of life that promotes, having fun, and relishing these moments. Hygge reminds us to stop, take a breath, and slow down. It’s a push into the calm, a reminder to savor the simple, leading to more happiness and fulfillment for those who try it out. Hopefully, you can have a hygge-filled year as we close out 2023, and bring that warm energy into 2024. 

Ayushree Dahal (she/her) is a Bay Area-based journalist.