Ice Spice “Y2K!” Review: A Millenial Disaster 

“It’s mercifully short…”

08.02.24
Ice Spice “Y2K!” Review: A Millenial Disaster  (Getty Images)

Well… for better or worse, Ice Spice is back. Released on July 26, her new album “Y2K!” is a 23-minute-long lesson in patience and tolerance in toilet humor and one flow. This album has many such beautiful song names as “Phat Butt,” “BB Belt,” and the (in)famous “Think U The $^*! (Fart).” I hate to say it was a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I mean… the name of the album was written on a trash can on the cover of the album. Many people are also trashing the album online. 

In my previous review of Megan Thee Stallion’s album “Megan,” I said that while the album is good, it can get repetitive, but that it was saved thanks to songs that created a difference between party Megan and what Megan is feeling inside. For “Y2K!,” Ms. Spice has instead used the album as just a collection of many songs to twerk to with no substance, and the same flow that she uses in every song. There is no variety to the music, no change, just a dull thud of bass slamming your eardrums constantly with no change.

There is nothing more to say here. Even with features by Travis Scott and Gunna, the album feels staler than week-old deli ham. My only advice to Ice Spice is to try to spice up her music by having different beats and rapping about things other than just twerking and partying. I understand that is what is popular, but for an album, it cannot hold. Thankfully, the 23 minutes I spent listening to it front to back were short and due to myself still being alive, I now know the adage of what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.

2 hams out of 5.

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzine.