The Truth About ‘The Idol’

There’s a wave of misinformation regarding “The Idol” and The Weeknd.

06.21.23
The Truth About ‘The Idol’ (Eddy Chen via HBO)

In recent weeks, there have been a number of negative opinions surrounding HBO’s new series “The Idol.” Many critics and viewers have been expressing their disgust with the provocative nature of the controversial drama series directed by Sam Levinson. 

With the bad reviews comes the bad press, but how much of it is accurate?

Earlier this week, there were rumors and even statements of confirmation that Abel Tesfaye’s show was not slated to get a second season. There were even supposed quotes from Tesfaye himself surrounding the abandonment of a new season.

A tweet which was seemingly satire garnered over 1 million views.

Meanwhile, Pop Crave posted about the show’s future.

HBO’s Public Relations team responded to the misinformation regarding “The Idol” having a new season.

With the inaccuracies aside, it should be mentioned that the hate from people on the internet regarding “The Idol” is coming after the second episode’s release. Within that episode, Tesfaye’s character named Tedros is seen and heard doing what many people think is the most disgusting thing ever witnessed on a television show. It’s no surprise that people are expressing discomfort in mass with the show and specifically Tedros. 

The Canadian artist and actor had a response to all the controversy and backlash during an interview with GQ.

When asked about his acting and the character he plays, Tesfaye said “ … the only way I could play this role was if it’s something completely different from who I am. And I can distance myself from that character. I wanted to make sure he looked nothing like me, acted nothing like me, just a totally different person.”

It’s safe to say that the commotion is warranted but at least it was predictable on HBO’s end. The raunchy dialogue and triggering nature of the show was designed to make audiences react and it worked.  It remains to be seen whether or not “The Idol” can move the goalpost of shock value.

Noumaan Faiz, (he/him) is a journalist and entertainer from Hayward, CA who covers culture and entertainment.