‘What It Means’ to be King Von

The late rapper’s posthumous album dropped Friday.

03.04.22
‘What It Means’ to be King Von (Prince Williams/Wireimage via Getty Images)

One of rap's most promising voices, King Von, was tragically murdered in November 2020, one week before the release of his debut album "Welcome to O'Block." 

King Von's estate released the album cover on Instagram on Feb. 28. The album consists of an intimate portrait of King Von covering the bottom half of his face with his hand. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhd0Le08I08

His first posthumous single, "Don't Play That," features 21 Savage. Von raps about his authority on an animated Kid Hazel beat. Savage delivers a quick verse filled with memorable quotes in between the catchy chorus. 

The album’s second single “War” was released on Wednesday. Von raps about prison and gang life before fame over a menacing piano-led beat by Chopsquad DJ. 

The Chicago rapper's biggest strength as an artist was how he vehemently delivered masterful storytelling and emotionally raw vocals — setting him apart from his peers.

“What It Means to be King” is available everywhere via Lil Durk's Only The Family Entertainment/EMPIRE.