4 Banned Books Written by Queer and Black Authors You Don’t Want to Miss

Learn all about the stories politicians and parents want to hide the most.

06.09.23
4 Banned Books Written by Queer and Black Authors You Don’t Want to Miss (Getty Images)

It is a truth universally acknowledged that books have a magical power. They have the power to transport us into fantasy lands with magical swords and mythical beasts. They have the power to make us feel seen in our most vulnerable emotions through themes like complex family dynamics or going through puberty.

However, we find ourselves at the crux of a battle between reading and censorship. In 2022 alone, the American Library Association recorded 1,269 censorship demands on library books and resources, almost doubling their number of 729 books in 2021 — a majority of which center around people of color and LGBTQ+ bodies (ALA).

Politicians and parents in support of book banning claim it is to protect children from harmful or mature themes. But what happens to those people of color and LGBTQ+ folks who see the impacts of racism and prejudice not as fiction, but instead as real, lived experiences? Their exclusion and the erasure of their history serves as a reminder of how powerful books can be. They have the power to change us, to alter the lenses we use to see the world and our privilege.

We read banned books to honor the words of those without a voice, challenge what we know about the world and express our freedom to read what we want. Serving as both a mirror and a window, books are a vital tool in growing inclusivity and empathy in our multi-racial society.

If you’re unsure what to read this summer, here is a list of four challenged books that you’ll absolutely fall in love with:

Gender Queer: A Memoir: Kobabe, Maia: 9781549304002: Amazon.com: Books

Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe

Ever since Kobabe, who uses e/em/eir pronouns, was a kid, e knew e was different. It wasn’t until years later that Kobabe would find eir identity after strenuous searching. Taking the #1 spot as the most challenged book in both 2021 and 2022, Gender Queer is much more than a comic book, it’s an ode to those who have wrestled with their gender identity and recognition of the most pivotal moments of a nonbinary person’s life.

Why it was banned: Sexually explicit nature and illustrations, LGBTQIA+ content

All Boys Aren’t Blue: A Memoir-Manifesto by George Johnson

All Boys Aren’t Blue is an intimate look into Johnson’s childhood, adolescence and college years and their complicated experience discovering their sexuality. When their racial identity as a Black American intersects with their identity as queer, Johnson has to grapple with learning self-love and self-acceptance. Their book features golden passages that can be valuable to anyone reading. 

Why it was banned: Sexually explicit content, profanity and LGBTQIA+ content

All American Boys: 9781481463331: Reynolds, Jason, Kiely, Brendan: Books -  Amazon.com

All American Boys by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely

Born from the acquittal of George Zimmerman for the murder of Trayvon Martin, the two authors bonded over their mutual frustration to write All American Boys. The story follows two kids Rashad and Quinn, one Black, one white and both witnesses to the racism present in our policing system in America. For readers who liked the story “The Hate U Give”, this powerful novel depicts police brutality through fiction that parallels our own reality.

Why it was banned: Profanity, drug use, alcoholism and promotes “anti-police views”

Amazon.com: The Color Purple: 8601418292227: Alice Walker: Books

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Looking for a more bright, immersive, summer-y read? Look no further than The Color Purple by Alice Walker. This iconic story, set in 18th century Georgia tells an intimate tale of Celie, abused and separated from her sister Nettie who must overcome the barriers and shackles forced on her by her abusers. It will make you sad, happy, angry, and sometimes uncomfortable, but you’ll be all the more glad that you read it.

Why it was banned: Sexually explicit content, explicit language, graphic depictions of violence and homosexuality

Knives Nguyen, (he/them/theirs) is a journalist from the Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture. You can connect with them on LinkedIn: @knivesnguyen.