‘March’ Inside a Texas HBCU

“March,” which premieres Monday at 8 p.m. ET, will follow the competitive world of HBCU band culture through the eyes of band members. PVAMU’s Marching Band, The Marching Storm.

01.24.22
‘March’ Inside a Texas HBCU (Nicholas Hunt via Prairie View A&M University)

DeKalb, ILA new docu-series on the CW will highlight the HBCU experience and life in the marching band at Prairie View A&M University in Texas and highlight the history-making moment of the drum major. 

“March,” which premieres Monday at 8 p.m. ET, will follow the competitive world of HBCU band culture through the eyes of band members. PVAMU’s Marching Band, The Marching Storm, will show what it takes for members to compete on the field while also balancing college life. 

Nicholas Hunt via Prairie View A&M University

The series will also touch on Jesus Mata, a senior and trombone player who made history as the band’s first Hispanic drum major.

Mata, who started playing the drums at 6 in the church band before switching to the trombone later, said his band director at Sunset High School in Dallas was instrumental in him going to PVAMU. 

“She said I had too much talent to go to waste and not do anything with it. She got in contact with Dr. Zach and set everything up,” the Music Performance major told YR Media.

Being a Marching Storm member had been a fulfilling experience for Mata, and to cap off his college and band experience, he tried out to lead the band. How and when he found out he got the job was a “surprise” on top of a surprise.

“It was during Hispanic Heritage Month, well really on Mexican Independence Day. The band posted on social media about me saying congrats to the first Hispanic drum major. It caught me by surprise. It also showed that I can be the blueprint for others who look like me,” said the Mexico native who plans to get his masters and doctorate in music.

The band was recently ranked as the top HBCU Division I band by ESPN’s The Undefeated.

“March” is the second CW series based on the HBCU experience. “All American: Homecoming” is slated to premiere this year.