Millennials Warn Gen Z to Think Twice Before Getting Tattooed

Millennials believe there should be a legal age to get tattooed.

08.11.23
Millennials Warn Gen Z to Think Twice Before Getting Tattooed (Annie Spratt via Unsplash)

Millennials are the most tattooed generation in western society, and are using TikTok to share stories about their permanent regrets advising Gen Z stop and think before getting ink.

According to a 2022 Ypluse  study over 50% of Millennials have at least one tattoo, while 7 out of 10 have more than one, although a lot of the demographic encourages the younger generation wait till their older before going under the needle. The trending hashtag #tattooregret on TikTok is now viral reaching 74 million views with plenty laser removal vlogs and millennials wishing they waited — or at least picked different design choices.

By using social media, they really hope to steer Gen Z away from following their footsteps.  

Millennials like @Leahbbth on TikTok are warning the younger generation that you might fall out of love with your tattoo desginslater in life and believes their should be a legal age to get a tattoo.

“The minimum age for tattoos should be 25 I said what I said 👁️👄👁️,” she writes in her caption. 

In her TikTok she explains that many adults warned her to not get tattoos, she didn’t listen. “There really is something about brain development and decision making.. When I tell you that something just switched in my head about one month before my 25th birthday. Like, I woke up one day and was like, ‘What have I done?’ I am cringing the eff out about the majority of my tattoos.”

Gen Z is runner up for most tattooed according to a study from Tattooing 101 says as of 2021, 23% of those born between 1997 and 2012 at least have 1 tattoo, while 19% have more than one.

“Considering the fact that Generation Z is composed of young people and many of them aren’t 18 yet, we’re expecting this percentage to skyrocket in the next few years,” the website stated.

Sydney Wanguhu, (she/her) is from the Bay Area and is an LA-based journalist who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on instagram: @sydneyy._